Are they ready to move to the "big house"?

VTGIRL

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Vermont
I have 8 Silkie chickens that just turned 4 months old on the 6th. I would like to move them out to the coop within the next week, they are in my basement right now, and I love it but, the weather is turning nice and I want to use the cages they are in right now for breeding, eventually. They are still on medicated chick starter but this week I have introduced them to pellets in addition to the starter. I'm stressed about taking them off the medicated starter 100% because I worry about Cocci. I lost one of my lovelies last summer to it and it devastated me. I so do not want to go through that again! Should I transition them into the coop and feed them flock raiser hoping that their exposure to the other birds will help them gain immunity or should I keep offering the medicated starter while they are out there? (hmmm..I’m thinking I might be the one not ready for this).

I put my babies in w/ the others at 5 mo. old. they were off medicated by then. you don't want to put the medicated food with the older ones. they will eat it.
your birds may be too small yet to move.
I would for all safety sakes. leave them for another 4 weeks in the basement. Have you been letting the babies see or be around the others yet?
You can't just throw them in all at once. you have to do it slowly and watch for acceptance from the established birds.
I did this in about four weeks time. slowly and gradually.....all is well now..

Can you put up and meet and greet pen in your coop. Nice if the young birds can be there without threat of being attacked until they get to know each other and before the young ones start laying!

I would put them outside in the same coop as long as they can't get to them.....from above either. chickens are smart and will fly.
build a big enough boxed- in area for the babys and make sure it's big enough for them to walk around in with food and water. Leave them with the others like I suggested for about 4-5-weeks. then let them out to be together.
they need to see eachother....but not able to attack eachother.

Back
Top Bottom