Are they really that stupid?

Quote:
Actually you've probably misinterpreted the reason the Guineas were on the fence. The dogs are part of their landscape and part of their flock. The fact they were locked up is different and they were not happy about part of their flock being confined. I watch my dogs and Guineas work together to run off things like cats, large birds and other dogs. Because they were part of their scenery from the get go they don't recognize them as a predator.

Chances are high that the Guineas were looking to get in to the fight with the hawk, when they hear my gun go off they come running to see what I'm shooting at.

As to the sliding under one another, that is a submissive posture, not one of hiding.

Because Guineas are so close to their jungle roots they will instinctively do what they did to remain safe in the jungle which was thick under growth for concealment. Not the open fields that we have for them to forage.

Robin is so right. Guinea behavior is infinitely fascinating and so often misinterpreted. I've often said they had alien intelligence, but they are really just so different from chickens and do things for completely unrelated reasons from why chickens do things. I think they are such unique and bizarre birds!

These are my first guineas and I have alot to learn! I am glad to know that ducking under each other is submission and it didn't occur to me that they would want to fight the hawk (also good to know) but the dogs have been penned for months and althouth they may not consider them preditors, they killed 12 of my 1/2 grown keets in one afternoon. You would think they would have figured out that they are not to be trusted! LOL Like I said, I have alot to learn! Thanks for the education, I now know where to come next time I have a guinea question!

It sounds like you are not there during the day time hours to learn the ways of the Guinea. As many similarities as they have with poultry they have that many more that are strictly Guinea. The more you can learn about them and their behaviors the easier it will be to understand why when you did this because that's how you do it with chickens didn't come close to working with the Guineas.

If your dogs were not exposed to poultry you are going to have some on going problems, especially if you are not home to monitor what all is going on. It took me a long time to train one of mine that he was to leave my Guineas alone. Now, as I mentioned before, the two species work together at times.

The fence thing: that will probably stop when they're about a year old. For some reason younger Guineas can not resist a fence or a gate. This is the first year that my younger Guineas have not flown over the fence to explore the other side. Maybe because my adult flock hasn't done it. Who knows, because it didn't stop youngsters in previous years from flying up or over.

Guineas are very much like our dogs, they prefer a pack and can accept other species in to that pack when they see them every day.

Back
Top Bottom