Are they too thin?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Patoot, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    I have had 4 RIR for 2 weeks now. They are doing great...I thought. I clipped their wings tonight and it was the first time I held them. They all feel soooo skinny. I can feel their breastbone so easily. I wonder if they aren't eating enough. They have Start and Grow and I made them a new dish. Maybe it's hard for them to eat out of it? The level is going down so I know they are eating. Should I put out an additional dish in their run? Now I'm worried about them. I was all set to treat them as life stock that are here to produce eggs, but I am already attached! They make me laugh with their antics and personality.

Are my girls okay? How can I plump them up? They love treats...maybe just lots of treats...tomatoes, yogurt, oatmeal, etc.

Worried. I for sure am going to put out another dish. They are within 40-50ft of their dish at all times, but maybe they don't want to go back to their coop for some reason??

Thanks for any reassurance. Oh, and they are about 16 weeks.

Bree

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You mention that they might not want to go back into the coop for food. I would recommend keeping food in the run as well. Also, treats should not be the major part of their diet. They need the balanced nutrition in the feed primarily at this stage.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    i would lay off the treats for awhile..let them eat only the start and grow..once they fill out more...maybe give them 1 treat a week...

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    That's the keel and it tends to be quite prominent on RIRs. In birds where it cannot be felt it is covered with muscle, not fat. The amount of covering varies greatly breed to breed and even bird to bird within a breed. And in breeds/birds where it's naturally palpable, you don't want to put fat on them to cover it. Being overweight is just as unhealthy for chickens as it is for people. As long as they're active, eating, growing and seem to be thriving I wouldn't worry about it. [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed

6. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks. I was just worried they felt too thin. They were very bony. They are very active, love to eat grass, bugs, and their food. No runny noses or eyes. Very alert. They seem rather happy actually. I will put a dish in their run and plan to make another feeder to keep outside so they don't have to travel back to the coop to get it even though it's a matter of 7 feet from where I will put the dish. They hang out in the run a lot even though they have the whole yard. It's feet from the coop, but maybe they don't want to go back in. ??? Anyway, thanks for the reassurance.

Bree

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    16 weeks? They are "teenagers" & will be a bit slim. It's good. You are watching for all the right things.

8. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks. That's what my hubby said too. He pointed out that they are still growing and it's probably normal. I just wanted to double check. Thank you!

Bree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by