Are they trying to have a dust bath in straw in the nesting boxes?

Alien Tea

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
They get in, puff themselves up and scratch around, throwing the straw everywhere. Often they peck at the wooden bottom of it too. Does that sound like they're just playing/exploring - or would they like a bath? Or maybe they didn't like having so much straw in there?

We've had them for 4 days (they were sold to us as "point of lay" - we're not sure how old exactly they are), and they haven't left their tractor. We've been tossing up the idea of letting them free range, but we worry about them getting over the retaining wall down into the neighbors place - in with a Jack Russell dog, who would probably love to "play" with them. Or on to the road if they wander around the house to the front (we have no fences).
We haven't put a dust bath in the tractor yet - I'm trying to work out what sort of container would be best to use (I'm thinking a largish kitty litter box - we don't really want to have to build something, and it has to be able to be moved around), and where to get stuff to put in it - our garden soil is all quite moist and full of bark and chunky bits of things - is that ok? I can get hardwood ash from the fireplace - I read not to use paper ash, and that is what we use to start our fires, but I couldn't work out why not use it - nothing I read said why.

Would love some insight/help! Thanks

I would think that would be exploring and playing, usually they will lay down and look like there having some kind of a fit kicking and carrying on. LOL Alot of times when mine are just sitting waiting to lay an egg they will grab pieces of straw and throw it up over there backs its so cute to watch!
I just got the girls a 42" swimming pool and filled it with sand and a little DE mixed in and they love it!
20212_photo-0022.jpg

Last edited:
Well - they didn't use the dirt I put in a container in there for them as a dust bath, but they sure did like hopping in and scratching around in it. I'm pretty sure there was a worm or grub or two in there.
idunno.gif

I guess I'll buy some sand and/or that DE stuff.

Your chickens look very sweet, stormylady
smile.png

Last edited:
That does indeed sound like playing/dustbathing. It must be tons of fun since chickens spend so much time doing it.

Come to think of it, I might roll around on soft stuff ta lot too if I didn't fear men in white coats getting called in on me.

Back
Top Bottom