are turkeys a good investment?

If you have the room for them to free range for most of their food and only have to supplement their diet, sell most of their eggs, hatch out the poults, yourself(so the hens don't stop laying) and have a long laying season, like we do in the South, you will break even or maybe make a few bucks, because they will eat more during the winter months. But you have to take into consideration all the nutritious meat you will be putting in your freezer and the cost of meds you will be saving on by eating healthier. I raise White Hollands that are the largest heritage breed and completely fill a 6 foot long chest freezer to the brim and still have lots of meat for large get togethers of 50+ people for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. The mature toms dress out at 30+ pounds. That's a lot of turkey meat! I debone a lot for stew, grinding for ground turkey and sausages, so we never get bored with eating the same thing. I also add some rabbit meat or beef for a different tasting ground meat. I am adding Midget White and Beltsville Small whites this year, for smaller roasters and Bourbon Reds and Narragansetts next year for more colorful birds. With the added colors, I should also have more hatching egg and poult sales! Investigate the markets where you live and try to pick the right breeds that sell better and suits your family food needs. Also figure in the amount of land, time and equipment you will need and if you can do your own processing. Also, Don't put all your eggs in one basket, raise other sources of food, such as rabbits, that are very thrifty on the feed bill, to help cover feed costs, until your turkeys start paying their own way. Of course, these are only my suggestions, based on my experiences as an older person on a small farm, who grows our own food. Everyone has their own needs and abilities.

If you have the room for them to free range for most of their food and only have to supplement their diet, sell most of their eggs, hatch out the poults, yourself(so the hens don't stop laying) and have a long laying season, like we do in the South, you will break even or maybe make a few bucks, because they will eat more during the winter months. But you have to take into consideration all the nutritious meat you will be putting in your freezer and the cost of meds you will be saving on by eating healthier. I raise White Hollands that are the largest heritage breed and completely fill a 6 foot long chest freezer to the brim and still have lots of meat for large get togethers of 50+ people for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. The mature toms dress out at 30+ pounds. That's a lot of turkey meat! I debone a lot for stew, grinding for ground turkey and sausages, so we never get bored with eating the same thing. I also add some rabbit meat or beef for a different tasting ground meat. I am adding Midget White and Beltsville Small whites this year, for smaller roasters and Bourbon Reds and Narragansetts next year for more colorful birds. With the added colors, I should also have more hatching egg and poult sales! Investigate the markets where you live and try to pick the right breeds that sell better and suits your family food needs. Also figure in the amount of land, time and equipment you will need and if you can do your own processing. Also, Don't put all your eggs in one basket, raise other sources of food, such as rabbits, that are very thrifty on the feed bill, to help cover feed costs, until your turkeys start paying their own way. Of course, these are only my suggestions, based on my experiences as an older person on a small farm, who grows our own food. Everyone has their own needs and abilities.

Speaking of laying season, my hens are still laying. I thought I was done with turkey eggs. :/

Speaking of laying season, my hens are still laying. I thought I was done with turkey eggs.
hmm.png

Great, turkey eggs to go with your goat's milk and home made preserves on toast sounds like a good breakfast to me ! LOL Only kidding, Julie, I have 5 poults a week old and don't need to raise more, this late in the year!

Maybe, as people get a taste of what Heritage turkeys taste like compared to commercially grown ones do, the sales on heritage turkey meat will be more in demand ! If only the feed prices would level out a little.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom