Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BunnyLover44

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Orlando Flordia
Hey this BunnyLover44 and I was wondering if I should get a turkey but it cant be noisier then a rooster. I cant have a rooster because I live in a neighborhood and I don't want to upset my neighbors. Plus roosters are extremely noisy in the mornings. Please give your opinion it is greatly needed!

I voted yes, and here's why....
If you get a hen, they aren't very loud. In fact, the little noises they make are adorable. They pew, pew, pew when they're content and make a pip, pip, pip noise if they think somethings wrong.
If you get a tom, on the other hand, they can be very loud (and annoying). My tom would thump and gobble. During breeding seasons he would also come up to the house and fight with his reflection on the chrome bumpers of my husbands truck :/
If you get a turkey, definitely get a hen. She'll lay eggs for you and likely will make a fantastic pet. My girls would sit in my lap and follow me everywhere :)

No domestic fowl needs a male to produce eggs, and like she just explained, female turkeys are VERY quiet. Mine "barks" if she needs to call me over, but that is infrequent and not as loud as a hen chicken cackling.

So they need a male to lay eggs??
idunno.gif
Sorry, I'm new to this turkey stuff, so plz bear with me. Aslo what breed should I get?

Birds do not need a male around to lay eggs, however they would need a male around to lay *fertile* eggs. I would definitely do some reading up on turkeys and other fowl before getting any! I personally think its fun to study up on and learn about all of the different breeds of fowl, their history and their care. :D

Two years ago hatched, raised and subsequently slaughtered a (delicious) pair of Bourbon Red turkeys in the middle of an urban city backyard without a single comment or complaint. I suspect that slaughtering the turkeys right as they started to reach maturity helped in the 'obnoxious gobbling sounds' department as the tom rarely gobbled (on the rare event that he did let loose with a gobble, it gave a delightfully alien feeling to a boring, standard-issue residential urban area, LOL), but if keeping them as long term pets is the goal as opposed to providing an exquisite Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner... then DEFINITELY get a few hens. That gobbling does carry quite a ways, and there is NO mistaking it for anything else.

Back
Top Bottom