Are unhatched eggs safe for snakes to eat?

Fishychix

quando omni flunkus moritati
May 20, 2020
NE Ohio
The title gives it away. I’m curious if incubated but unhatched eggs are safe to feed to snakes or other reptiles. It just seems like a sad waste to just throw them out. I will also post this in the incubation thread.

Like as in they were developing but quit? I would guess they’d be okay as long as they are freshly ‘quit’. Wild snakes eat wild eggs all the the time at various stages of development. Though an egg that’s been setting and possibly rotten... no clue. I feel like the snake might be able to detect if the egg is edible or not? Their tongues are pretty sensitive.

They’re quail eggs and I was not able to successfully candle them. One ended up shrink wrapped, one egg felt too light, and the other two I don’t know. No pips or anything. Nothing stunk though.

That is true! Highly species specific. Eggs wouldn't be appropriate food for many species of snakes, but there are some egg eating snakes (although those usually eat things smaller like quail eggs). I guess there are a few important questions here:
- Are eggs/chicks an appropriate species for that species of reptile?
- How developed is this fertilized egg? 2 days of development (aka basically just an egg) or 20 days (basically a chick)?
- How fresh is this egg? Yes, wild snakes might eat all sorts of things, but it doesn't mean you want to feed rotten food to your pet snake.

That is true! Highly species specific. Eggs wouldn't be appropriate food for many species of snakes, but there are some egg eating snakes (although those usually eat things smaller like quail eggs). I guess there are a few important questions here:
- Are eggs/chicks an appropriate species for that species of reptile?
- How developed is this fertilized egg? 2 days of development (aka basically just an egg) or 20 days (basically a chick)?
- How fresh is this egg? Yes, wild snakes might eat all sorts of things, but it doesn't mean you want to feed rotten food to your pet snake.
Right, that’s my main concern. They’re not my snakes so I want to be absolutely certain it’s safe.

Back
Top Bottom