Are we male or female? Turkens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sueg6255, Jun 15, 2009.

1. sueg6255

sueg6255 Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    LaGrange County
    Here is one

[​IMG]

here is number 2
    [​IMG]

any help would be great. I have my guesses but want some expert advice on these.

thanks

2. Fruit Juice

Fruit Juice Songster

Mar 13, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    How old are they?

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    first one is a cockerel.. Second i can't really tell with the wire in the way and that stance etc.

4. sueg6255

sueg6255 Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    LaGrange County
    [​IMG]

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    going off just the feathers that i can see, how big they are, and the comb/wattles, i would say the second is a cockerel as well.

6. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Songster

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    I think the first is definetly a roo and the second is a hen as far as i can tell? I am going by the size of the comb and the fact that the second one's tail is angled down? i guess it really depends what age they are? [​IMG]

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:well it's angled down because he/she is bending over...in every picture. Even the white one which is standing up only has a horizontal (im still half asleep, so i could be using the wrong word) Tail.

And they have very close to the same size of comb/wattles. Along with the saddle (and especially tail feathers) turning into sickles on the second one, you can see it best in the first picture.

Either way though, time will tell [​IMG].

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  8. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    boys...

9. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Whoa where did you get the white one?! I really want a white standard turken....

The white is a boy for sure. The buff is a girl, for sure(they are the same age, right?).

For some reason, some turken girls grow a largish comb & wattles early on.. but they stay 'pale pink' until they are close to laying eggs. I've been fooled by pullets just few weeks old showing a good sized, but PALE combs before so I don't rely on their combs too heavily for sexing. What I do is look at the overall color.. the girls have a "light" or rather even colored body, the boys get patches on the wing bows and backs that get dark and contrast more with rest of body. At least that's a common pattern observed in the hatchery stock turkens. But if you have a group containing both sexes, the males do show much more reddening on the face, upper neck(eventually spreads down whole neck) and comb than on pullets, large combs or no. This pair, if same age is pretty good example of this. Besides all that.. the white is already showing rooster pointy feathers in saddle.. none of that on the buff.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  10. sueg6255

sueg6255 Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    LaGrange County
    We got both of these at Rural King in our area. My son is going to show one of them in Showmanship. His first time showing. He is also showing boilers too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: