Are we too worried about noise?

Jun 7, 2017
Southwestern Pennsylvania
There's no real ordinance saying we can't own fowl or livestock, there is a piece of legislation that was introduced six years ago that is on the record as only being enforcable in suburban housing developments where close neighbors don't expect to live alongside farm animals and that people outside of this with an "existing use" would be "grandfathered" and they would not be interested in taking our animals away. Although, we are also not zoned as a hobby farm due to being short about an acre or two.

This is an aerial view of our land. The rectangle is our borders, the enclosed circle is where the hen house is and any prospective goats would roughly be. Our closest neighbors are labeled. Behind us is a giant nature park where people go camping. There's no plains or clearings for sound to carry, and to muffle backyard noises further, our pool filter has a mouth on it. I feel like I'm letting my anxiety get the better of the reality in that we're pretty isolated. And our neighbors are good people, so I feel overly-concerned given our actual situation. Thoughts?

homestead.png

Depending on what that ordinance states, and if you would be considered grandfathered in, I don't see any problem. As long as you practice good hygiene in your coop(s), and in your prospective goat shed, there should be no problem with smells.

I like the deep litter method for my coop floors. It keeps smells to a minimum, created excellent compost material which is ready to use the following year, is very easy to do, and you get to have the chickens keep working on turning and stirring the floor mixture rather than you doing the hard work! :D The goat poo will be a great addition to the compost, too.

Were it me, I would sure give it a try, myself. The worst that can happen is the city/county/HOA sends you a letter saying tough luck, too bad, make it go away. Then you decide if you go 'underground' and camouflage your co-op & run better, become another of the many, many rogue chicken owners ;), and perhaps find a new home for the goat. Hopefully not so soon that he/she doesn't get to clear out all the brush for you, LOL! They really are great at that!.:thumbsup

But really, I would absolutely give it a try. Good luck for you and your microfarm! :highfive:

Depending on what that ordinance states, and if you would be considered grandfathered in, I don't see any problem. As long as you practice good hygiene in your coop(s), and in your prospective goat shed, there should be no problem with smells.

I like the deep litter method for my coop floors. It keeps smells to a minimum, created excellent compost material which is ready to use the following year, is very easy to do, and you get to have the chickens keep working on turning and stirring the floor mixture rather than you doing the hard work! :D The goat poo will be a great addition to the compost, too.

Were it me, I would sure give it a try, myself. The worst that can happen is the city/county/HOA sends you a letter saying tough luck, too bad, make it go away. Then you decide if you go 'underground' and camouflage your co-op & run better, become another of the many, many rogue chicken owners ;), and perhaps find a new home for the goat. Hopefully not so soon that he/she doesn't get to clear out all the brush for you, LOL! They really are great at that!.:thumbsup

But really, I would absolutely give it a try. Good luck for you and your microfarm! :highfive:

Your encouragement is much appreciated! Although we're definitely not worried about smell, what keeps me up at night is the quacking and goat hollering becoming a noise complaint from the northern neighbors!

Unless they are incredibly noisy, I doubt even you will hear much out of them at night, much less your neighbors. The only time I hear my big Chinese Brown geese at night is when they walk right past the window going to their favorite camping spot. (They refuse to stay in a coop or the pen I built them, even with the nice little swimming tub in it :rolleyes: I figure they're big enough that between them and the LGD, they're safe.) Anyway....

I really don't think the neighbors could hear anything unless they were outside on a completely quiet night with a gentle breeze blowing the sound to them, and they were listening very intently. And then they shouldn't hear much. :)

From that aerial view, I think you will be just fine. Both your neighbors are rather far away! I'm pretty sure our neighbors are closer than yours and we've had roosters, geese, and goats without any complaints. Generally, we barely hear them ourselves!

Back
Top Bottom