Are white chickens less afraid of the snow?

vermontgal

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Salt Lake City / Sugarhood
Are white chickens more likely to be happy going out in the snow? I am wondering if my chicken's avoidance of snow is an instinctual concern about camouflage (or lack thereof) against the all-white background.

Anyone with a mixed flock have some observations?

I have 2 BR, 1 NHR, and 1 EE. Of these, the NHR, also the lightest color chicken, is the most willing to go outside. My coop is in an exposed area, with almost no habitat "cover" nearby. I am thinking of "planting" some used Christmas trees in the snowbank outside the coop to provide them with temporary cover over the winter. My gals are pretty cold hardy, as I heat the coop only with a 100w heater and only when the temps are below -15F outside.

So, I am wondering if the chickens' fear of snow is really a fear of being eaten - and I wonder if white chickens therefore are less afraid of snow?

Will adding trees as cover help my gals be more willing to go out?

I have white chickens and they detest snow just as much as the rest of them do. I think they don't like getting their feet cold and wet.

Adding trees will always make your chickens happier though.
smile.png

I agree with Buster. I have a mixed flock white, black, barred, buff & brown hens. They don't care for snow though they'll go out more frequently if it's icy out
roll.png

I've offered to take them skiing, but they aren't interested.
roll.png

In the category of "what do you wish you'd known when building your coop" -- I wish I'd known that they wouldn't be willing to go outside all winter. I give them the chance, but they won't go. Thanks for the opinions.

Mine don't like cold feet. And I've learned recently from the ice storm, that they are as afraid of walking on slippery ice, as humans are, for obvious reasons.

I have seven Dark Brahmas and one White Leghorn. The Leghorn is by far the most curious and daring of the flock, and she has also been the most willing to go out on the snow. After several days of tempting them to go out onto the snow with cracked corn and mealworms, I've finally gotten the flock to all go out and forage when there's snow on the ground. The White Leghorn was the leader by a couple of days, even though she's last in the pecking order.

Personally, I doubt if color has anything to do with it. I suspect it's just her more bold and curious nature, rather than her color. All my flock are now out on the snow every day.

I have seven Dark Brahmas and one White Leghorn. The Leghorn is by far the most curious and daring of the flock, and she has also been the most willing to go out on the snow. After several days of tempting them to go out onto the snow with cracked corn and mealworms, I've finally gotten the flock to all go out and forage when there's snow on the ground. The White Leghorn was the leader by a couple of days, even though she's last in the pecking order.

Personally, I doubt if color has anything to do with it. I suspect it's just her more bold and curious nature, rather than her color. All my flock are now out on the snow every day.
Old thread

Back
Top Bottom