Are white leghorns production breeds

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
I’m going to probably get more chicks today, and I want a bird that will lay a good amount of eggs, but I don’t want a production breed. For instance I don’t want sexlinks since they have a shorter life and tend to have more health issues. Are white leghorns a good breed to get? What are your thoughts? I was thinking maybe four olive eggers since I want colorful eggs and maybe two others of some breed, maybe leghorns… I don’t know. I’m going back and forth 😂 a bit of background info is that I already have 24 chickens and 12 ducks.

My silver leghorns are good layers but they have a fairly long shutdown during the winter. By far, all my Barred Rocks have been my laying superstars with only a short molt and then right back to laying. My oldest Barred Rocks are nearly 5 years old and this year they did lower production significantly, but I got 4 amazing years from them. Plus, they are heavier birds and have zero ability to jump the fence (with wing clipping).

I find leghorns a wonderful addition to my mixed flock.
They lay a white egg to my colorful egg basket. They eat less feed than heavier breeds.
They adjust to all weather extremes, and are active and energetic foragers in a free range situation.
They also dont fall Ill to reproductive issues like sex links often do.they will continue to lay for years before slowing down (with the yearly molt and rest season).
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom