Are you supposed to tip the person who loads your feed?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Gallusfarm, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Everytime I go to our feed store and they load the feed, I feel like I should give them a tip, but never do. Is a tip the proper thing to do? I never know when to tip for things.

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    no? I would never think about that. I think they would probably be embarrassed. Most of the guys that work at our feed store are high school kids. They get paid really well, so I don't think it would be neccesary.

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I never tip my Southern States guys.

4. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    If I am at tractor supply then I never tip. 1)because ours has terrible service and they never want to help. (I'm 5'4' and can lift a lot but 4- 50 lb bags of feed into a lifted truck is a bit more than even I am capable of) 2) they grumble the whole time they are "helping" me

If I am at one of my more favored family owned supply stores then I will tip the 12 yo that comes to help even before his dad tells him to (between the 2 of us we are dying when we are done [​IMG] ) I never tip more than $5 but it is usually $2 since I don't really carry much cash on me. I don't tip the parents because I just spent my first born's college tuition on feed at their store [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I tip them, but not when they sling the freakin bag into my trunk and it splits open and there is feed everywhere. [​IMG]

6. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Nope, but then again, it's my minions, I mean children, loading the feed.

7. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I always say "Thank you sir" when they help me load the feed, I think that is a tip enough. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  8. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Yikes, I hope that's not proper etiquette, I never do! [​IMG]

They're kids, nice kids (well not KIDS by young guys), I've gotten to know them, usually stand around a chat for a while, joke around, thank them and then leave. Never even occurred to me to tip them. I have paid a couple of them for side jobs though. Paid one of them to stack my fire wood last year, and paid another to move a washer and dryer into my house. But aside from that, no I don't tip them for loading.

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never tipped and I've never had a 'loader' delay for more than a 'Have a nice day' before going back into the building to their next task... reckon if they were expecting or even hoping for a tip they'd delay for a second to give a person time to dig one out... so I'ma go with no... least not around here.

10. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Come to think of it, knowing me and my local luck, if I tipped them there would be a "strange rumor" going around town within hours. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by