Are you switching over to LED bulbs yet?

BruceAZ

Songster
May 18, 2016
Valley of the Sun :)

LED bulbs are cheaper than before..

back then they are $30-$40 a bulb!!..

now around $2-$5 a bulb (daylight 5000K, Feit brand)(costco)

at $2 it's about the same price i paid for the daylight CFLs back then..

if you replace 30-40+ bulbs in the house then you can see a difference if switching from incandescent bulbs to LED

since the difference is minimal from CFLs to LEDs

but still

27W (100W equivalent) 1600 lumen daylight 6500k CFL vs 14W (100W equivalent) 1500 lumen daylight 5000k LED

that's about half the energy use.. so if you have multiple of these. it's a considerable saving..

most of these LEDs also come with 2-5 years warranty (free replacement)

Last edited:
I bought a 300 watt equivalent. . Think it only used 30 or 40 watts of power. Worked great for a month then quit.. I got refunded.
It had built in fan in the bulb.. I haven't tryed the smaller ones.. do they have a fan too?

Are you talking about using an LED for a heat source?
LEDs should only be used for light.
CFLs supply a little heat but not as much as an incandescent.
The beauty of LEDs and CFLs is that they don't waste energy producing heat.

I bought a 300 watt equivalent. . Think it only used 30 or 40 watts of power. Worked great for a month then quit.. I got refunded.
It had built in fan in the bulb.. I haven't tryed the smaller ones.. do they have a fan too?

300W equivalent? i didn't know they have LED bulbs with higher wattage than 100W..

these are the ones they have at my local Costco

looks kind of like the old incandescent bulbs.. but it's heavier.. there's a heat sink built in at the base to absorb heat.. but i don't see any fan

your 300W LED bulb burned out . .probably because it was too hot..

now that LEDs bulbs are cheaper.. they are coming out with those LED bulbs with security camera built in? it's alike $200 a bulb!..i guess at that price.. only the filthy rich can afford it.

I think he just meant light

yes.. LED bulbs for household lighting

i'm not talking about using them as heat lamps for my chickens..

household lighting.. i saw some of the neighbors across the street still use incandescent bulbs ..

Last edited:
Got it off Amazon. . Wanted a high light output.. to light up front of my shop.. think it was about 20.00.. had a control board and fan inside.. I think the control board burnt out..

Quote:

That is why I was confused by the poster mentioning them including a fan.

high wattage LEDs will have a fan due to its size + heat production

Got it off Amazon. . Wanted a high light output.. to light up front of my shop.. think it was about 20.00.. had a control board and fan inside.. I think the control board burnt out..

it was probably too hot

if you want to light up outside space 100W bulbs should be sufficient ?.. i use 100W bulbs around my house in the motion sensor light posts..

but if you want focused light in certain areas instead of omni-directional

use flood lights LEDs

even at only 650 lumen 4 of these can light up my kitchen like it's day out

they have ones with higher lumens but they are more expensive

those flood lights are pretty pricey.. this is what i use a box of 8 for $38

i use 5000K since they are not as white as 6500k

Quote: high wattage LEDs will have a fan due to its size + heat production it was probably too hot if you want to light up outside space 100W bulbs should be sufficient ?.. i use 100W bulbs around my house in the motion sensor light posts.. but if you want focused light in certain areas instead of omni-directional use flood lights LEDs even at only 650 lumen 4 of these can light up my kitchen like it's day out they have ones with higher lumens but they are more expensive those flood lights are pretty pricey.. this is what i use a box of 8 for $38 i use 5000K since they are not as white as 6500k
Basically it's just a duel motion light.. I usally do have just 100 watt in them.. but on one side I wanted a more powerful one to light up the parking area on one side.. so I'd have to ad more fixtures to use these.

300W equivalent?  i didn't know they have LED bulbs with higher wattage than 100W..

They do make them, you just generally won't see them in stores, plenty of different offerings online, from stand alone fixtures like flood lights to screw in bulbs...

For example, here is a 480W equivalent, LED bulb...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60W-80W-100...hash=item3abf6e38f6:m:mCtVYfUYhhgbAKhWcHyVIsw

Back on topic, I just moved into my new place just over 2 years ago, and when we moved in I replaced all the bulbs with 6500K CFLs as our local electric company was (and still is, but it's due to end) subsidizing the switch and I could get a pack of 4 CFLs at Walmart for 99 cents at the time... And shortly after that I scored a case of 24 LED bulbs at Goodwill for $1 a pop, so I switched over some of the high use area bulbs to LED at that time... Over the years I also watch the clearance racks and have scored a bunch of CFLs and a few LEDs as stores rotate out stock...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom