Are your chickens spoiled? What is their fave treat?

litmisredneck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 4, 2012
Pierson Fl
My chickens are spoiled. As soon as I open the coop they beat me to the back porch for their morning hand out of dry cat food. Once they have devoured that they are good and go off to hunt and peck (is what i call it). My chickens fave treats is dry cat food and broccoli. They were fighting with my son this past spring/summer garden. we finally had to keep them out of the garden by putting a little wire fence around the broccoli. What is some of your chickens fave treats? Mine wont eat hardly any treats.

I have tried and tried to get mine to eat banana's, apples, pears, strawberries, you name it. They peck at it for a second and shake their heads and walk away.

Spoiled? I would say spoiled. Just because when I first open the chicken coop door one of the Rhode Island reds won't leave till I get a hand full of cracked corn, and if I don't bring it down to where they can reach it soon enough she jumps up and grabs one of my fingers.

OK, so they're spoiled. They think they're pets. One of their favorite treats is when my wife busts up apples that fell from the tree and were bruised too bad to bring inside. They also love to get into our dog's food, and enjoy eating leftovers that she doesn't get to quickly enough.

Last edited:
It depends on the chicken as to what their favorite favorite snack is, but some flock-wide favorites are plain cheerios, any kind of melon, tomatoes, pears, bread, and greens. My polish roo Elvis favors baked lays potato chips, but I only give them to him once in a great while as part of our "Etiquette" training, and Eclair, one of my EE's, loves nothing more than a fat, noisy cicada.

We had some kind of weird little melon volunteer in my dad's garden this year, probably from our "vine peach" melons last year, and since it wasn't very appealing to human tastebuds, we offered it to the chickens. They absolutely LOVE it, so we saved the seeds to grow again next year and we're calling it Chickenfruit.

Back
Top Bottom