Are your chickens tame????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenmamalp, Dec 18, 2009.

1. chickenmamalp

chickenmamalp Chillin' With My Peeps

We have baby chicks and have been trying to hold them often in hopes that when they grow up they will be tame and come over to us or sit on our laps. Is this a true theory or are do we have false hopes??
    Is there a certain spot where they like to be pet??

2. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    I have 40ish chickens and so no mine arn't tame. I have a hard time catching them to dush them or what not. I have heard of others who have chickens who are. I believe it's the same as you think...if you raise them well handled and loved.

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Some of mine are, some of mine are really wild. All were held and messed with frequently as chicks, but I think it depends on the individual animal?

My most friendly birds are my naked necks [​IMG] If I go into the run the others run from me like I've got a hatchet in my hand, while the NN's crowd at my feet and love to be petted and talked to. My EE's are fairly friendly, too, just not as friendly as my turkens. I've also got a super super gentle OEGB roo that will fly up on my lap and sit till he falls asleep, and several of my OEGB hens are friendly as well.

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    I have some that are extremely friendly and some, not so much. Handling as chicks makes a big difference, but some are just wilder than the others. I have several EE's that are super tame. My special girl, Blueberry INSISTS on being picked up and petted whenever I go out. I think she'd be content if I carried her all over the place and she never had to walk. [​IMG] My Polish girls are friendly if they know you are there. If you startle them, the scream like maniacs when picked up.

But ALL of my chickens magically become friendly if I go outside with treats. Greedy boogers!

5. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    We've been brooding our chicks in the house so they end up living as part of the family until they're ready to go out to the coop. The benefit of that is that the chicks become quite friendly, both with us and with our other pets. I think this early bonding helps the dogs and cats get used to living closely with chickens, so they no longer see them as prey, even after they move out to the yard. As the chicks grow into adult chickens, they do tend to get a bit more "wild" but with regular attention, I think many still retain a deeper trust and remember the love and companionship they used to enjoy indoors with us. I have found that the cockerals tend to start out more outgoing and inquisitive than pullets, but they also can become suspicious or aggressive as they mature. Therefore, it's important to keep handling them so they continue to see you as a dominant member of the flock.

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Mine are pretty tame. Give them treats and call them here chick chick chick...they will learn to come and will start to follow you around! They are easier to catch when they start to lay.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  7. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Chickenmama so glad you posted this. I am getting ready to get about 5 or 10 chicks and want the same thing. i have 4 hens and a roo that are wild. i had one Reba RIR that was a pet and miss the contact so much.

Thanks for the Post.....

8. Cluckin'Along

Cluckin'Along Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Exeter, RI
    I wish mine were tame... [​IMG] I just had it out with my roo, and all the girls ran from me like I was a hawk or something. Here's hoping the batch o' eggs my broody is setting on produces a friendlier batch!!

9. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    None of my hens come when I call chick, chick! But I can clap my hands (like clapping to bluegrass music) and they will all come running (except for 1 RIR and 1 SLW who avoid coming into their run like the plague when they are outside). Imagine 1 crazy lady marching down her yard clapping with chickens marching along after her. [​IMG]

10. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    Mine always come running to me because they know I usually bring a treat .... so they get really excited [​IMG] . And if I sit down they will hop up on my legs and settle in for a nap. Sometimes I have eight of them squeezed in at one time! One EE likes to jump up on my shoulder like a parrot...makes me laugh!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by