Are your chicks vaccinated?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cleigh, Mar 14, 2013.

1. cleigh

cleigh New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Are your chicks vaccinated for marek's? I just got 3 chicks. None of them were vaccinated and nobody around town carries it. One vet offered to help me find it if I really wanted it. They were hatched locally on an organic farm - not sure if that matters. This is my first chick owning experience so I'm kind of a newbie.

2. Pennington722

Pennington722 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    That is a good question. We got ours from TS on March 1st. The man said he knew nothing about chicks and then I forgot to ask about vaccinations.....now they are between 2-3 weeks old, so I assume it is too late.

3. DimondaleBergs

DimondaleBergs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013

We got our chicks from TSC and they said they were not vaccinated, but I just watched a video on here yesterday (on the what is my sex/breed thread) that showed how the hatcheries sexed the chicks. Well it also showed (and said) that the chicks were vaccinated against Mareck's disease before they were even hatched. Not sure if all hatcheries do this though. It showed them injecting the vaccine right through the shell, which left a small hole in the top of the egg that the chicks would use later to break through to begin their hatch.
    I'm a new chicken owner too, so I'm curious to know if any of the more experienced members on here can help confirm or deny what the video said.

4. LiveVintage

LiveVintage Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Indiana
    Nope. No desire to vaccinate either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by