Are your ducks enjoying the first snow?

Mine usually don't mind the snow but it has also been VERY COLD. Today they came running out of the night pen like always, hit the snow and then all plopped down on their bellies to warm their feet. I laughed so hard!!!
gig.gif

Mine do that laying on their tummies and tucking their cold little feet in too. They have to take a break even before they get to their water.
Or they stand on one foot while they drink. Then another duck walks by and knocks them over!
big_smile.png
They've also started to just fly sometimes to get to their food and water and back to the duckhouse, less waddling through that miserable snow!
And they stay in their duckhouse most of the time.
I feel so bad for them, it's been between just under zero and 10 or 15 degrees for the past few days. Not long ago it was in the fiftys and sixties here, and I think that affects how much cold feathering they have. In area where the change is more gradual it might give a better chance for the feathers to winterize.

This is the first winter with my four as well. They walked about 12 steps and then plopped to warm their feet. I felt so bad I added extra straw to their house. We had their pool filled and they didn't even want that. First time I've seen them turn down a bath. Now lettuce, that didn't get turned down.
roll.png

It snowed a little bit today in SACRAMENTO! My ducks were like " Now come on I live here for a reason!" lol They didnt know what the heck was going on.

Back
Top Bottom