Are Your Hens Setting On Eggs Yet? 2012 POULT FORECAST

I am going to ask a stupid question. I have only had my royal palms for a short time, however I have raised ducks and chickens for a while. Since I only have 1 hen, will she go broody on one egg or if i leave the eggs will she let them build up then sit on them. Since she is laying an egg every other day, I would think that 6 eggs would be the most she could sit on with them still being viable. I keep 2 female ducks in the pen with the turkeys so the ducks lay in the same nest as the hen. Will the hen sit on her eggs and the duck eggs? I dont really want to leave a lot of eggs in with the hen because I am hatching all the poults i can. But eventually I will run out of bator space, or brooders and will let her hatch some.

Believe it or not, I have never had a broody anything. I have even raised silkies and cochins and never had one sit on eggs. Maybe the turkey hen will be nice to me and sit on some eggs

The research that I have done says that they could collect 12 eggs before sitting. I've also heard of surrogate hens where they sit on other eggs so it's possible that she will sit on the duck eggs. As far as going broody I don't know I'm with you I have never had anything go broody.

Just candled my hens first eggs. I have 5 in the bator and all 5 are developing!:D.

My rooster is a jersey buff and the hens are a blue slate, sweet grass and a calico.

I have more jersey buff eggs coming to hatch out and some midget whites. I'll place my other breed hens once they stop producing eggs for the season.

Yes, isn't it though. I hatched out all of the present ones I have now from an egg trade last year. That was our start in turkeys. We butchered 7 of the extra toms the week before Thanksgiving. Yummmm! We were hooked on raising our own. Lots of fresh grass, fresh air, organic feed and plenty of sunshine sure makes for delicious turkeys!:lol:

Mine have finally started laying.. got 2 eggs this week (haven't checked yet today).. I still need to check them for fertility..

I figured I would give them a few weeks before I plan to give any away or incubate any.. that should give all the girls a chance to start laying

Back
Top Bottom