Area around chickens eye swollen

Terry17

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
I have a 6 week old Buff Rock whose left eye suddenly swelled up about a week ago. I put terramycin ointment on it and the next day after the swelling went down (some) I noticed a small cut in the upper lid. She's currently on soluble terramycin in her water, but the swelling is receding at a glacial rate. It seems as if her entire face is a bit puffy. There are no indications of a respirator issue-she's breathing fine. She's part of a new flock who are all healthy and we live in upstate NY. She is getting better, but I think that's in spite of what I'm doing and not because of it. Has anybody seen anything like this? Is it only a local infection from the cut, or something else?

12622_lefteye.jpg

12622_righteye.jpg

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Not one of the experts, but it appears to be a local infection (wore on the side with the cut). I would keep treating internally and externally with the meds. (PT by day - farmer the rest of the time)

I've had this in my flock also. I e-mailed Peter Brown about it and he said there are a number of different bacteria that can cause it, so unless you want to swab and send it in, just treat it.

You can keep putting the ointment you have in it, or you can get some eye drops from First State Vet Supply.

I have a neo-poly-dex (correct name?) drop stored in my little refridgerator in case this pops up again.

Thanks for the help-- I'm fairly new at this, and when I went to the Internet to try to figure out what was wrong, each answer was worse than the one before! (I was nearly convinced all my chickens would go blind, die horrible deaths, and then a meteor would fall on my house. Well, that's the way it seemed, anyway!) Keeping some first aid supplies on hand is a good idea, I will get right on that. Thanks again, this forum is a great resource!

-Terry

you can find the terramycin eye ointment at most farm/feed/livestock supply stores..
look in the livestock section..
or online at first state vet, or JeffersLivestock.com

also...sometimes the swollen eye, head, or wattles is the first symptom of respiratory illness, without breath sounds..
so,observe the hen closely for any other symptoms..and the others.

Back
Top Bottom