Arguing over nesting boxes

Yep. Simple solution is always good. Where are the curtains? I don’t see them in the pics.

before painting, I’d try using cardboard and zip ties one of two ways.
1. Cut flat piece of cardboard into size that will fit over crate opening, add holes to zip tie on top of crate. Cut a hole large enough for chicken to get in, and to provide a 3-5” lip to keep in bedding. Place this onto crate on its side, so the chickens walk into crate. The opening could be a circle or triangle.

2. Keep crates in upright position as they are shown in photo. Get box that will fit over the crate with enough height for chicken to get inside through the opening you will cut on one side.

you could do two crates one way, two crates the other and you may then have created two favorite boxes, rather than one.

our chickens really like the kitty litter boxes, but not all of them do. Some definitely prefer the other boxes (larger and darker). But we have two of each type and there is a favorite box of each type. Maybe offering two styles will get them to spread out a bit.

Good luck.

How many feet of actual roost length?
Pics?
Looks like you have a nice hoop coop...would love to see more of it.
Actual roost length is 16’. Of that, 12’ is configured like an angled ladder like is often seen. That’s what the chickens consider prime real estate because it’s in the corner and feels the most protected.
4’ is next to it, closer to the door and part of it is not under the tarp so we understand why that wouldn’t be appreciated. But there’s still lots of room for the youngsters since they all like to huddle tightly anyway.

Pics when I can!

Id try the simple answer first but im like that.
Paint the crates all the same color, see if it really is something that silly, it could be. :p
That hadnt occurred to me at all, to be honest. Could it really be just like that?!

Yep. Simple solution is always good. Where are the curtains? I don’t see them in the pics.

before painting, I’d try using cardboard and zip ties one of two ways.
1. Cut flat piece of cardboard into size that will fit over crate opening, add holes to zip tie on top of crate. Cut a hole large enough for chicken to get in, and to provide a 3-5” lip to keep in bedding. Place this onto crate on its side, so the chickens walk into crate. The opening could be a circle or triangle.

2. Keep crates in upright position as they are shown in photo. Get box that will fit over the crate with enough height for chicken to get inside through the opening you will cut on one side.

you could do two crates one way, two crates the other and you may then have created two favorite boxes, rather than one.

our chickens really like the kitty litter boxes, but not all of them do. Some definitely prefer the other boxes (larger and darker). But we have two of each type and there is a favorite box of each type. Maybe offering two styles will get them to spread out a bit.

Good luck.

The curtains are immediately to the left of the photo. I barely cropped them out. See the feathery tush? She’s between two “curtains” which are really coffee bean sacks.

Did think of trying two different types of boxes so we could try that. I’m having trouble picturing the cardboard configuration you mentioned, mostly because I’m not sure how easy it would be to change the hay? I’ll reread it and see if it doesn’t sink in better. Thank you!

The curtains are immediately to the left of the photo. I barely cropped them out. See the feathery tush? She’s between two “curtains” which are really coffee bean sacks.

Did think of trying two different types of boxes so we could try that. I’m having trouble picturing the cardboard configuration you mentioned, mostly because I’m not sure how easy it would be to change the hay? I’ll reread it and see if it doesn’t sink in better. Thank you!

First idea: Get a flat piece of cardboard to put a privacy cover on the open side of crate that is on its side.
Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 2.17.08 PM.png

Second idea: Use box that can slip all the way down the crate, or can be attached to the top. Just needs to be big enough to allow the bird to get into and out of nest.
Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 2.24.26 PM.png

If these are successful, then you can create a more permanent cover or just replace with cardboard as needed. If not successful, you've only spent a few minutes of your time trying out an idea!

Back
Top Bottom