Argument with the DW!

Quote:
My Akita keeps a good patrol of the yard. Last night i noticed she was sleeping within a few yards of the coop on several different occasions keeping watch. When we first brought the chickens home she had that dinner bell look in her eyes. But I had a sit down with her and she knows those are dads birds now. They are always putting their heads through the chainlink to pick at whats outside the run and Blaze couldnt care less about them now.

This is Blaze

Blaze.jpg

Last edited:
She's absolutely gorgeous!!!

I worried about keeping chicks indoors as I wasn't sure how she'd react. I think she enjoys being a surrogate mom, though.

When we had the bike wreck, she was home alone with 2 chicks in the brooder. I got out of the hospital after two days and just knew she'd decided since no one was here to feed her, she'd fed herself.

I head back to check on the babies and Pepper was beside herself with pride..."look Mom, didn't I take good care of the babies while you were gone"...then proceeded to herd me to the kitchen for her kibble.
gig.gif

Dawn

My chickens have a huge chain link run and game bird netting covering the top but I still lock them up at night. I sleep better and I'm sure they sleep better as well knowing that they are safe and secure in their house. Why risk it?

We're waiting for chicks, but two of our neighbors, who have chickens, always bring them in at night. Mind you we're near the woods (coyotes, foxes, skunks, raccoons, raptors). Hubby and I plan to bring them in unless there's an exceptionally hot/humid night and even then, the attached coop is roofed and predator-proofed and in addition we're making a mason-wire door as extra protection.

wink.png

Well I'll give my 2 cents worth....... I lock mine up at night also. I sleep better knowing that they are ok. The only pred. I have seen is a snake and I am sure he was after egg's. My cats could care less about the chickens and my dogs are the same. So just for my piece of mind they go to bed all safe and sound locked away.

Mine go into roost at night and I close the door behind them.
They know that is where they are suppose to be.
I want to take responsibility of the safety of my flock.
My Rooster keeps a close eye on them too. Once you lose one you don't want to lose another......

Back
Top Bottom