Aricana's foot is falling off

I'm glad she's doing good!! I was going to message you today to see how she was doing
smile.png
I was VERY happy when you decided to try to save her.. if she can make it through this, it will have been worth the time spent to patch her up. Like I said before, my Stumpy is my best chicken.. and believe it or not, she's not even the lowest on the totem pole in our flock either!

Matt, I'm glad to hear people telling you how to help your chicken. I hatched a beautiful aracona in November. She had splay leg. Then she got it in the other leg. I tried the old Band-Aid thingy, but it just didn't work. However, she is getting bigger now, still in the house, inside a big tote. However, she is getting around, eats and drinks with no problem. I had her with a "buddy" but as that one got bigger, he or she would pick on her, so she is now by herself with her own little buddy. A teddy bear she has had almost from the beginning and she cuddles up to, and under that sucker all the time. She is the sweetest little one I've ever had. So good luck with yours, hope everything works out alright for both of you.
smile.png

She is doing well. We've been keeping her in a large dog crate to recover before putting her in with the rest of the flock. She's been hobbling around the crate pretty well and seems like she wants to get out of there. I think we are going to let her roam tomorrow and see how mobile she is.

I just wanted to add a little something...If you use a 2x4, broad side up, then it forces the hens to roost flat footed, and then they sit on their feet, keeping them warm. Just a little tip for future reference.

And I would think that to cull would be kind, but also, as another member showed with pics, it is possible to save a one footed chicken....So you do what you think is best!

hugs.gif

Matt--see if you can find my post about CHarlie from a year ago January. He had an infection in his stump after 4 years WITHOUT feet!!! I kept him in the house in the winter and he had his own space with a few hens in the winter, I still miss him and he was the reason that I found this wonderful site! I will always be grateful to my CHarlie! Terri O

Back
Top Bottom