Arizona Chickens

Oh , I did not know that .
Thank for letting me know :)

Breed has nothing to do with the color, color crossing with other colors will have the same results regardless of breed. Lavender being recessive won't show unless both parent birds each carry the lavender gene. So, if you bred a lavender Marans cock over a lavender Ameraucana hen you'll get a lavender Olive egger but the plumage will be lavender as both parents carry the lavender gene. If the Ameraucana hen were black the chicks will be black, not lavender but bred to a lavender some will produce lavender and some black.

Breed has nothing to do with the color, color crossing with other colors will have the same results regardless of breed. Lavender being recessive won't show unless both parent birds each carry the lavender gene. So, if you bred a lavender Marans cock over a lavender Ameraucana hen you'll get a lavender Olive egger but the plumage will be lavender as both parents carry the lavender gene. If the Ameraucana hen were black the chicks will be black, not lavender but bred to a lavender some will produce lavender and some black.

What about a blue to a lavendar, or a splash to a lavendar?

First hatch for this year (round 1) - 9 Barred Rocks and one RIR from my SOP birds.

I'm late getting started but I had to finish the coops, pens, etc. Round 2 is due to hatch this Friday. I'm figuring on setting eggs every week until the end of March which will carry the hatches up through the third week of April. I'll knock off after that until Fall around October or so. I hope to get a couple of nice birds out of these. Either way, incubating and hatching eggs is a blast.

Anyone incubate and hatch eggs past March? I'd think the temps would make that difficult but I'm still a rookie at this.

First hatch for this year (round 1) - 9 Barred Rocks and one RIR from my SOP birds.

I'm late getting started but I had to finish the coops, pens, etc. Round 2 is due to hatch this Friday. I'm figuring on setting eggs every week until the end of March which will carry the hatches up through the third week of April. I'll knock off after that until Fall around October or so. I hope to get a couple of nice birds out of these. Either way, incubating and hatching eggs is a blast.

Anyone incubate and hatch eggs past March? I'd think the temps would make that difficult but I'm still a rookie at this.

Nice.
big_smile.png
You're doing good on getting that chicken math down.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I'm taking a break from hatching out mine here until fall. I like to hatch mine out in the fall. That's why I was letting other's know that I now have fertile eggs available if they needed some to hatch out.

What about a blue to a lavendar, or a splash to a lavendar?

I don't recommend breeding a blue or splash to a lavender as it creates a mess with future hatches down the line. Unless you plan on keeping all the chicks, keep very good records, toe punch your chicks so you know which carry the lavender/blue genes, otherwise, I would stay away from that breeding. It's best to breed a lavender to a lavender or to a black.

I have hatched into mid April. My incubator and hatcher are indoors, so incubation temperature is not an issue. But my brooder is outside (in the shade), and ants become an issue in the brooder when the weather warms up.

I've had hens go broody and hatch chicks in July and August (in Tucson!) The successful summer broody nests have been under the deck next to the house, which means they may be getting some cooling from the house AC. (It's a manufactured home and I am sure some of the cooled air finds its way to the crawl space and out the skirting.) Since I am not willing to crawl under the deck to check their nests I don't know how many eggs they have started with, but they have successfully hatched a chick or two even when the outside temperatures are at egg-frying level. Sadly I lost those summer-hatched chicks to predators, despite the broodies' best efforts. I would love to increase those heat-resistant genes in my flock.

I don't recommend breeding a blue or splash to a lavender as it creates a mess with future hatches down the line. Unless you plan on keeping all the chicks, keep very good records, toe punch your chicks so you know which carry the lavender/blue genes, otherwise, I would stay away from that breeding. It's best to breed a lavender to a lavender or to a black.

I think that the breeding between them would also cause the loss of the better feather lacing that the blues have also? That wouldn't be a good thing.

If you're not using a broody hen, hatching chicks in the warmer weather can actually save you the hassle of having to use heating lamps, etc. because the ambient temps are sufficient to keep them warm. But the older they get the harder it is on them to be contained in hothouse environment. Just don't put a broody hen through the torture of hatching past April at the absolute latest. I had one girl that looked like she would die any second from heat stroke and she would NOT leave her eggs. I set up an A/C unit to blow directly on her to keep her alive.

First there were three:

Then there were 8!!

Mommy and babies are doing just fine! They are about a week old now with wing feathers and tail feathers. Mommy is begging to get out of the brooder so she can stretch her legs more - the brooder is not small but I'm waiting another week for regular outings that are more than a few minutes long. The chicks are all barn yard crosses. The rooster is an EE - great looking chicks tho! Weather is okay for temps, etc. I worried the chicks wouldn't get out of the nest box so after all was done I turned it on its side and use the lid for feeding on. Mommy has most of the straw out of the box - no one seems to be suffering because of being cold! Now you know what I do with my afternoons. Sit in the shade and watch chick babies TV.

Last edited:
I think that the breeding between them would also cause the loss of the better feather lacing that the blues have also? That wouldn't be a good thing.

The lavenders are known for their feather fretting, unfortunately. All lavender breeders I know breed back to black to fix this problem every third breeding.
If you want to see a beautiful lavender project check out John Blehm's site Fowlstuff, he createda Silver Lavender Ameraucana and they are gorgeous. I believe it took 5 generations but don't quote me on that! Even the newly hatched chicks are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom