Arizona Chickens

View attachment 1168395
This one I'm calling Indigo. Not the brightest bulb on the string, but I love the color! Can't wait to see what she looks like as a big girl!
They just get more and more pretty as they get older. My black one has that nice teal sheen, but I am in love with these little blues! I also think the splash variety is gorgeous.

They just get more and more pretty as they get older. My black one has that nice teal sheen, but I am in love with these little blues! I also think the splash variety is gorgeous.

Thank you! I do love the splash as well. Unfortunately BlueBaby kept the one she had, not that I blame her. My favorite in this new group is the dark blue pullet.

Hi ... and are still not laying after 35 weeks. ...
Thanks in advance!
Some breeds take longer to lay then others... also, time of year can change when they start producing eggs.... Production slows down or is delayed for different reasons, ie: when they molt, are too hot, shorter day/light hours. I personally like to get chicks in the fall,that way they start to lay in the spring. If you get chicks in the spring, sometimes you miss the first season you think they should be laying eggs. because it's too hot, and then the days are too short...
Just a possibility.

Hi there! I just discovered this thread and have some questions. We have a flock of four, and will be getting rid of 2 that have shown aggression and are still not laying after 35 weeks. We are looking to buy 6-8 more chicks and build an upgraded coop that can accommodate them.

What breeds would you recommend for Arizona heat that lay a lot of eggs, tolerate being picked up, and don't screech their heads off all day?

Thanks in advance!

I'm always going to herald the remarkable Naked Neck Turkens (NNs). They're my primary breed and shrug off heat up to 115* while other birds suffer miserably. They're outstanding for eggs, meat and as pets.

But...since some people struggle with their looks, Australorps, Barred Rocks, and White Leghorns also do very well out here.

But seriously....NNs are gorgeous. ;)
Tank 2 4-27-17.jpg

My splash hen died this summer, but I got a splash chick in my last hatch in Sept. that it's possible is one of her eggs before she passed. I even think that it's a girl, so if so she will start laying eggs maybe towards the end of march. I am also planning to add more from the Rattlesnake Ridge line in the spring. There is a lady over in Buckeye that I have been helping to set up with the Hupp line, and I plan to go more with the Rattlesnake Ridge line, so that we can keep both line's of these beautiful bird's right here in AZ.

I'm going to be picking up an 8 month old breeder pair of the Naked Necks too this coming weekend, so I might have a few chicks from them come spring.

Updated: The only splash Australorp that I have available right now is a 3 month old boy. He can be put with Black hens to get the blue chicks, or with the blue hens to get blue and splash chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom