Arizona Chickens

I still have two girls that insist on being broody - I put them in the broody breaker cage and they sat in there for 10 days - 10 days!! Usually 3 days is plenty - maybe 4. Now I just keep dumping them out of the nests - 5, 6, 9 times a day. It was 110 here today - you'd think they'd learn! Cute little Clint!

:eek::eek:I've read about "broody poops" heard about them, but never pictured what I just saw..lol, let my broody out of the cage for a bit and this thing would have made any Saint Bernard proud..rofl.. she's been doing it in the shavings and I haven't paid any attention, just cleaned out the shavings and gave her fresh.
:lau Ahhh the broody poops...this is so true!

Introducing the miracle of the Arizona summer. I've been setting eggs in the incubator that were overflow, late developing, and other random eggs that weren't working out under broody's for one reason or another. A FEW DAYS AGO I deemed the last few left as duds. Pulled them, and left the incubator off and open to dry out. This morning I go out to feed/water the three random chicks in the brooder that couldn't be snuck under a broody hen, and there's an extra mystery chick on the floor! What the heck?!?!?! Found the hatched egg over by the incubator. Also on the floor. The days have been 98-101 and the nights in the 70's here... humidity around 10%. And this baby just hatches out on the floor of an open pen, with gravel floor, that I normally use for other things.. It's just where I've set up the incubator and brooder this year. Talk about hardcore!
To top that off, it's the only real clean neck Na/Na that's hatched so far this year. Looks like it's probably gonna be a boy. I stuck the little punk in the brooder with the other chicks and, despite being fresh out of the egg, will not stay under the heat plate for anything. He insists on wandering around and complaining about everything. Thinking I'm gonna name him Clint Eastwood, he's just that damned hardcore.View attachment 1808407 View attachment 1808408 View attachment 1808409
:love I love him. What a tough little dude you’ve got there. I showed my husband and we both agree, he’s got a great hairstyle.

I am beyond thrilled to see so much interest in my beloved NNs! I wholeheartedly believe that for our hostile desert environment they are an ideal breed. Now, there are a lot of points I want to address, so please bear with me....

1) A/C in chicken coops: I would say the ultimate goal is always adaptability in your birds. It certainly is in mine, but I will confess to having two window A/C units to use as necessary in the worst part of summer. One of my chicken coops is actually a cabin I think would have made a fantastic starter home for my husband and myself when we were starting out many, many....many years ago. This is the cabin before I divided the inside up into separate coops, added pop doors and outdoor enclosed runs, etc.
View attachment 1169542

The two windows on the front porch are where I put the A/C units in June. Why? Because not all of my chickens are NNs! When I first began keeping chickens I started with hatchery birds to "get my feet wet" and learn how much work it would be. Then I fell in love with the idea of having some Bielefelders, which are wonderful, wonderful birds....and not at all suited for this environment. The ONLY birds I've lost to heat have been the Bielefelders, and while I still have two hens (not very good layers but exceptionally sweet), and my favorite rooster of all-time, summer is VERY hard on them. My husband and I bought the A/C units to create a cool area for them outside so they could stop living in my master bathroom shower on hot summer days.

So, do you need A/C? That depends upon whether you want to work with the nature and the genetics of the birds, or thumb your nose at it and have what you want at any cost. I should note, however, that even my Biels have slooooowly adapted somewhat to the heat and I didn't use the A/C units nearly as much this year as I did the year before.

2) Coops: @cactusrota made an EXCEPTIONALLY good point. Open air coops with lots of shade are far better here than "traditional" coops that keep the birds all snug (and hot) inside. Here's an image of one I found on CraigsList that's similar to my own favorite: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/grd/d/chicken-coop/6299868253.html

00b0b_71Hbs5Deffq_600x450.jpg

Notice that the back wall and roof are solid, but most of the coop is very airy and open. This is a very good thing out here, even during our brief cold spells. I'm a firm believer that more air is better for chicken health. After all, they're birds, and they evolved to live in the wild.

3) Mixing NNs with other fully feathered breeds - YES! Do it! There's no problem at all. I've been doing it for years, and cross-breeding my NNs with fully feathered varieties to improve on certain traits I'm looking for, especially heat tolerance. My NN x Bielefelders are not only my sweetest hens, but their egg laying improved during the summer months (X-Lg eggs!) and their heat tolerance improved exponentially. While many of my fully feathered breeds slowed dramatically during the summer, the girls in my NN egg-layer focused flock continued to each give me 4-6 eggs per week, weighing 2 ounces or more each (and in a variety of colors).

And if you are looking for good, slower-growing meat birds, NNs are definitely your breed. Having 50% fewer feathers makes processing a lot faster, and their skin crisps up like no other bird I've eaten. (Yes, I do eat many of my birds.)

4) NN Personalities: In my years of keeping NNs I've had one truly aggressive NN rooster who absolutely hated my husband and son (but not me), and he was in my starter flock. Now, granted, I've worked very hard to breed out aggression in my NNs, but it honestly wasn't all that hard. Even the offspring of my lone aggressive rooster came out much more human friendly than their daddy was. Nearly all of my best, most attentive roosters have been NNs, and I have multiple roosters living together without fear of any real problems. Yes, the boys spat from time to time, but usually only during adolescence and to establish pecking order once the young'uns are released into the yard to interact with the older birds.

NNs are smart, very hardy, affectionate, friendly and quirky. Only my NNs and my Australorps have proven to be good hunters (lizards, mice and bugs), feed hardy, and super healthy. And personally I love that they can all look completely unique from one another or you can breed to SOP. Me? I love the eye candy...and playing with the color genetics. It allows me to focus on them as my primary breed while also allowing visual variety in appearance.

Oh...and I live south of Tucson in Green Valley, so feel free to message me with any chicken questions you may have. I've helped several people around here get started with chickens or improve upon their setup and had some lovely visits with them to boot. :)

What an interesting article. We ordered chicks that will be coming in during this heat wave! Excited to get them but would love any tips or bits of wisdom on raising them the first few weeks in this warmer weather. It will be high 90s-100 in our area. I know they need to be kept about 95 this first week but want to make sure they are raised as healthy and happy as possible.

Well you certainly won't need a heat source this time of year! Just make sure they always have fresh water available. I like to give wet feed this time of year. It's kinda like fermented feed but I don't keep it soupy like the online directions for fermented feed require. I find wet feed helps them in the heat, and they really like it.
Here's the brooder I'm currently using for the chicks that don't have broody mommas. It's a huge tote from walmart with 1/2" screen fitted into the lid and some holes drilled in the sides to make sure they get air circulation. I've used it all times of year. There's a Brinsea heat plate but most of the time it's not plugged in. Just on cool nights.
20190611_131647.jpg
20190611_131757.jpg

You can also use these little prefab things sold for small hobby hens. They really aren't big enough for more than 3-4 full grown hens, but you can lock up some chicks in the upper nesting area until they are big enough to navigate the ramp. I got this one used for free and have put 2 week old chicks in it as a grow out pen.
20190611_131927_HDR.jpg

This is what I have that I prefer to use. I made it from scratch from mostly salvaged stuff and the cull lumber that's 70% off at Home Despot. It's 3'x4' and is placed inside a grow-out pen that's about 10' x 8'... ish... The roof is on hinges for top access, but I prefer using the side doors as the chicks are less fearful when you aren't some scary predator hovering over them. I would be using it right now but there are other birds in that pen currently.
0923180858a.jpg
0923180858.jpg

Hope something in there is helpful!

Back
Top Bottom