Arizona Chickens

My nine week old cockerel just started crowing. I hope it's not contagious! He sounds like someone sat on a whoopie cushion...
big_smile.png

They are still on 20% with feed available 24/7. Plus plenty of treats. I have 12 birds, 6 different breeds, all 13 weeks old, and they all go after feathers.

But what kind of treats? remember everything counts in the total. Example, if your birds eat half their intake in 20% and half their intake in scratch which is usually about 12% protein then their actual protein intake is only 16%. That's an extreme example but gives you the idea. Most birds will eat loose feathers during molt for the extra protein. Some will even pick and pull feathers off other birds. Try adding some meat scrap or mealworms and cut back on lower protein items and see what happens.

I ordered a couple pounds of the chicken mix, thanks for the discount code, Demo! I'll sprinkle some seeds in my lawn and see how it does. I also set up some of my old wheatgrass trays--I'll use those for the seed mix as well.

Bluebird, ha!

I'm a newbie who just joined, so I thought I would introduce myself! I live in an un-incorporated part of Buckeye with my husband and 4 chickens. One started laying last weekend, another is starting to make alot of noise and spending time in the nesting boxes, and the other two are probably still a couple weeks out. We are newbies at little birds, but a few years ago, we raised ostriches! After trolling BYC for the past few months, I figured it was about time I joined! --Cindy
Welcome Cindy. I love this sight and it has been very helpful for me and my wife in starting the process. If you could handle Ostriches I am sure you can handle chickens!

They are still on 20% with feed available 24/7.  Plus plenty of treats.  I have 12 birds, 6 different breeds, all 13 weeks old, and they all go after feathers.

I have a mixed flock & they eat feathers too, but not every feather because there is still plenty blowing around the yard! I also feed them well & starting FF today just to be sure they get the best nutrition.

Last edited:
So Phoebe our Ameraucana finally started laying eggs and they are a beautiful Blue Color!
wee.gif

Our First egg from Phoebe! The funny thing is that everything I have read the RIR was supposed to lay more than the AM but for last week we got 5 Blue eggs and only 4 eggs from our RIR & BR combined. Phoebe actually laid 4 days in a row and 5 days out of 6. Kind of impressive.

This was after we had breakfast on Saturday. Best Egg sandwiches I have ever had!
celebrate.gif

Rachel our RIR was standing watch.

For some Reason Phoebe always tries to roost under the other two. She will almost knock them off the roost trying to get underneath them.

City told us we had to trim back our Mesquite tree so I have a lot of branches the girls can play on for now. Looking to cut them down to length to be the new roosting branches in the coop.

But what kind of treats? remember everything counts in the total. Example, if your birds eat half their intake in 20% and half their intake in scratch which is usually about 12% protein then their actual protein intake is only 16%. That's an extreme example but gives you the idea. Most birds will eat loose feathers during molt for the extra protein. Some will even pick and pull feathers off other birds. Try adding some meat scrap or mealworms and cut back on lower protein items and see what happens.

They get lots of veggies and free range grass and weeds. They also get plenty of meal worms since thats the only way to get them back in the coup after ranging.

Thanks for the advice.

My EE Eleanor was squawking earlier then I saw her in the nest box, a bit later she came back out of the coop but no egg. She went back out into the yard with the others for about an hour. I had to go out for a bit so I locked the girls back in the run, and when I checked the box when I got home no egg still. I walked over to a corner of the yard I don't spend much time in and almost stepped on an egg. It was off white. I'm going to assume it was Eleanor who laid it because of the way she was acting today. I was really hoping for a blue egg, I know someone who has an EE that looks just like mine and she gets blue eggs from hers so I was hoping they were the same mix of birds and mine would lay blue as well. :( The egg was a lot larger than the first eggs from either of my other 2 that are laying though but they lay medium brown eggs. The only other bird I own is a Welsummer who hasn't laid yet but I doubt it's from her. Guess I'll have to get another EE or an Ameracauna or something from a breeder to try again for a blue egg. It's a bit muddy because she laid it in the yard.
I'm a bit behind in posts, so maybe someone has already addressed your brown egg laying EE. The only thing I can say is that it is believed that the blue egg gene is closely related to a pea comb. I would be interested to see a picture of your EE. Also, I THINK the blue egg gene is dominant, so it would be rare to have a true EE lay a brown egg. Maybe SONORAN SILKIES can chime in here, she is much more knowledgeable about genetics than I am!

Fuzzybird, thanks again for the guineas. They are settled into their temp coop till they get used to being here and everyone gets used to them. they seem happy enough. It wasn't fun chasing the grey one around the yard for 15 minutes when it escaped getting it out of the van.
tongue.png

Here's a couple better pics of a few of their new pals.

They are so pretty and I do see the little top knots they get! Glad my two went to a good home!

Back
Top Bottom