Arizona Chickens

I had a Mittleider Garden. Switched to a modified version. I put bird netting over the T-Frames to keep my chickens out. On the low bed I put the bird netting over the PVC hoops. I got a good baling twine. It was expensive but it grows a long ways, Getting a lot of use out of it. Used bailing wire for the bottom run. I had mediocre success with their watering system, but only way to do the weekly feedings. I was using 25 to 30# of fertilizer at peak. Sawdust from a bat company in Tempe. I got my Vermiculite from a company down town, I think it was $22.00 a 3.5 cubic foot bag, best price, I needed some 320 cu ft in all, but it turned out more in the end. Sand I carried by 1/2 a YD at a time. Contact me if you need help. I have maybe 160 gal of sawdust, in bagels that are dissolving to dust its self. Contact me if you wish to see mine, or if I can help you.

My beds are 4' wide 30' long. I built it with my nephew's minimum help and Maximum complaining because LDS Prepper didn't say so. I greatest victory, if there can be a victory was when at the hight if him be upset with me for a modification, LDS Prepper posted an update with the same modification. I still have 1more years worth of the trace additives. There are pics in my profile.

I could use your sawdust if you don't want it. I am getting a list of materials together and thats the item I have no clue of where to get. LDS prepper and Jim K are coming to AZ to do some classes and it just so happens they will be building a grow box in my yard.
celebrate.gif
They are doing I believe 2 seperate 5 hour classes. 2 and a half hours in the class room and the remaining time in my backyard. My wife knows more about it than me, she has been coordinating the whole thing with David (LDS Prepper) since I rarely see my house in the daylight. Your garden looks amazing by the way.

I just wanted to post a sad update. Our dear "Sonoran Silkies" lost her husband on sunday after a tragic accident while rock climbing. I ask that you all do not bug her, I don't know if she would even want me to post this as it is her news, but I just felt that she has helped so many of us that you all might keep her and her family in your prayers. She is a dear friend to me and I am so deeply saddened by this horrific accident.
Wow. Prayers for her and her family from ours. Our deepest condolences.

I have a question for those of you in the Phoenix area. My Easter Egger's are older and laying but I want to keep the green eggs coming. Since I inherited them, I have no idea where to find more. I hatched my own, but since the roo is RIR, they will probably be olive eggers...? (Please correct me if I am wrong).

I see Ameracaunas in the feed stores, but read that they are blue layers...and I never see EE chicks. So where do I find EE chicks? Hatching eggs would be ok also.

Thanks!

I was wondering if there is anyone in Tucson who had their own fodder system that buys seeds locally. We just built a little system with auto watering for our rabbits and chickens but we can't seem to find anything local to actually sprout.
We don't really want to order online if we don't have to, we'd rather support local business.

I have a question for those of you in the Phoenix area. My Easter Egger's are older and laying but I want to keep the green eggs coming. Since I inherited them, I have no idea where to find more. I hatched my own, but since the roo is RIR, they will probably be olive eggers...? (Please correct me if I am wrong).

I see Ameracaunas in the feed stores, but read that they are blue layers...and I never see EE chicks. So where do I find EE chicks? Hatching eggs would be ok also.

Thanks!

I'm not in the PHX area but I think I can certainly answer your question. The names of EE's & Ameraucanas, while not exactly the same "breed" are often used interchangeably. The color of egg varies from a pale mint green to a sky blue, depending on the bloodline of your bird's ancestors. Although you rarely get true blue eggs from either of these breeds, they mostly are a shade of pale green or blue-ish green. Only the rumpless Araucana's are actual "blue" egg layers. That being said, the Ameraucanas you see in feed stores are likely what you are thinking of and calling EE's, just being called by a different name than you are used to. I strongly doubt they lay anywhere near an actual blue egg, every hatchery stock feed store EE/Ameraucana i've ever seen laid pale or medium light green eggs. Not really anywhere near what I would call "blue". Especially not when you compare the color of eggs that true Araucanas lay.

Back
Top Bottom