Arizona Chickens

I'm glad the scare turned out to be a false alarm. I know how that goes...very scary!

Remind me again where you are? And how old are your Dark Cornish?
I am in kingman arizona and they are 2 to 3 months old. I had hatched some cornish black copper marans and black isbars in the same bator. Big mistake now I am not sure who is who for sure

I'm looking to add on to my flock, and I want really good egg layers. The color of the eggs doesn't matter. What are the best egg layers for the hot Arizona heat?

I'm looking to add on to my flock, and I want really good egg layers. The color of the eggs doesn't matter. What are the best egg layers for the hot Arizona heat?
I have done some research and cochins seem to do good in the heat. They are smart an very friendly good egg layers too I have some gold laced cochins for sale along with a few other breeds. So far everyone is doing good and Arizona is not known for being cool

Even though this summer hasnt been too hot my feed store production reds have done well. 2 of them just started laying and since they started they are going strong with 2 a day. Now I just need the other 4 to get going, but they still have about another month to catch up.

I have done some research and cochins seem to do good in the heat. They are smart an very friendly good egg layers too I have some gold laced cochins for sale along with a few other breeds. So far everyone is doing good and Arizona is not known for being cool

Ok, how old are they? Is it ok if I PM you to get more information?

Ok, how old are they? Is it ok if I PM you to get more information?
yes pm me or email me at feathermeadows@gmail we can exchange phone numbers or email back and forth I have a lot of chickens that are good layers or will be. The cochins will be laying in a couple months I have Isbars and Marans that will be laying soon too.

yes pm me or email me at feathermeadows@gmail we can exchange phone numbers or email back and forth I have a lot of chickens that are good layers or will be. The cochins will be laying in a couple months I have Isbars and Marans that will be laying soon too.

Okay, thanks!

Well it looks as though my peacock foster boy is gone. Big machines were cutting alfalfa and he bolted. Then there were a number of wind storms and he doesn't like those. I've looked in various areas where he might have gone but nothing. So I keep food on the table just in case he comes back. We named him Ranger for a reason - he was wild. Mostly I worry about whether he is eating well. Oh well......it was great while it lasted.
sad.png

My hatchery Australorps are outstanding layers of extra large eggs and laugh at the desert heat. One of my Aussie girls laid for 43 days straight before taking a day off and starting again. Australorps are heat tolerant, egg laying machines!

For egg machines, I like the golden sex links. They are not bothered by the heat, and lay a jumbo plus egg every day. I also keep Cochin, jersey Giants, Marans, barred rocks, Ameraucanas, and Easter Eggers. The sex links lay the largest eggs, closely followed by the barred rocks. The Cochin and Jerseys lay smaller eggs, but are still productive. The Marans and Ameraucanas are good for color and size, but not as productive. My easter eggers aren't laying yet, so no opinion on them.
As far as heat tolerance, I lost one Cochin hen and one Ameraucana rooster a few weeks back, when the temps were hitting 110+. No problems with any of my other breeds.

Back
Top Bottom