Arizona Chickens

Here is an interesting comparison of eggs. The largest are from Cornish Cross that randomly managed to evade the slaughterhouse. The middle are year old ISA Browns. The smallest are Silver Gray Dorking eggs. They average about >82 grams and are mostly double yolks, 65-70 grams and 49 grams respectively.

The other photo is just a beer

The Silver Grey Dorking's haven't been laying egg's for long, so they should get bigger later.

As far as pet chickens, I started with Leghorns. The girls don't really like human contact, but if they're half asleep you can pet them. My crazy cockerel apparently didn't read the rooster rule book, and he likes his feathers stroked. Go figure. If you want lots of eggs Leghorns will supply you with those.

After getting the Dorking I started looking around at other breeds. The Dorkings don't lay as much as the Leghorns, but the girls are tamer than my Leghorn gals.

I've been checking out EEs because some of them are super pretty. But for some reason white and brown eggs seem a lot more appetizing to me. I saw on some threads where some EEs do lay brown eggs, but apparently that's not common.

Right now there are Leghorn and Dorking eggs in the incubator, and I'd better keep my nose out of other tempting breeds.

I'm pretty sure that one of the Aloha pullet's that I got as chick's back in Nov. layed her first egg today. It's smaller than I should have been getting, and also a tinted white shade of color.

The Aloha cockerel tried to breed with my reddish NN girl today, but she wasn't having any of it and started chasing him.

I'm pretty sure that one of the Aloha pullet's that I got as chick's back in Nov. layed her first egg today. It's smaller than I should have been getting, and also a tinted white shade of color.

The Aloha cockerel tried to breed with my reddish NN girl today, but she wasn't having any of it and started chasing him.
LOL! She's going to play hard to get. Good for her.

Well I got my yearly quota of being merciful and nice out of my system last night. I went out to the hydroponics house around noon yesterday, to top water and feed for the babies and found a hawk had gone through the screen door and was inside. I was able to get it out, though I noticed it looked dehydrated and let me get within inches of it, so something wasn't right.

Fast forward 2 hours and I go to start afternoon watering and hear a ruckus from the greenhouse, where I have the 4 - 8 week olds before moving them to the runs. At least until I get the brooder barn built. There is that same hawk, and it was in the pen with the 4 week olds and had two of them under its feet. How it got past the 2x4 welded wire tops I have no idea.

So the hawk, luckily for its life, did no damage to the 2 chicks it jumped on and I was able to contain it and then get it out. It promptly freaked out trying to get out and ended up hitting the top of the dome greenhouse several times before knocking itself out. Of course it was 22 feet up at teh time and it did a nose dive to the ground and landed between the pots near the potting bench, wedged tight.

In a moment of mercy, I picked it up, it was still breathing and put it in a dog kennel I use to move chickens around in. Then started the 5 hour frustration of trying to get it help as I noticed it was skin and bones.

Let me say that both park rangers and fish and wildlife are useless and at this point fish and wildlife needs to have everyone fired and replaced.

Anyway, 6 hours later, a local rescue agent for Liberty wildlife rescue contacted me and I drove the hawk to her ranch, 40 minutes away, she had been contacted by Liberty Wildlife who I had talked too several hours before, but as they were in Phoenix they could not help me, but promised to send out a state wide emergency alert in case someone was down near me.

So I was merciful in letting him, the rescue lady told me it was a male, live and nice to even drive it, in the dark , down dirt roads to get it help.

My yearly quota has been used up :)

She ended up tubing it to hydrate it and about now it should be on it's way to Phoenix to get medical help and rehab. As evidently it did not have the strength to do more than jump on the chicks and that took so much effort it could not hurt them or eat.

On the down side, I now have 36 chicks to quarantine, after building the new pens, instead of putting them in their new 268 square foot run and coop.

Back
Top Bottom