Arizona Chickens

Found a dove caught up in aviary netting last nite - had to cut it out - then put it in a tree to recuperate on its own. I have to mend the netting now and put some new flag tape on it so smaller birdies can see net before too late. The doves are too big to go thru it but sparrows can go back and forth thru the net and places in the fence.

Well we took the ugly but cute cockerel into the vet cause he isn’t gaining weight and his feathers are still a mess. They are running a gram stain on his fecal matter (well what he passes off as fecal matter) and have him on a booster gel plus full spectrum antibiotics. If there is nothing in his fecal they want to run blood and do an ex-ray on him.

The vet I took him to is afraid this is either an overload of coccidia or genetic. If it’s genetic we have to decide to extend his life or put him down. Poor thing. Went from a $5 “pullet” to a $400 cockerel in the matter of a few hours lmao.

Well we took the ugly but cute cockerel into the vet cause he isn’t gaining weight and his feathers are still a mess. They are running a gram stain on his fecal matter (well what he passes off as fecal matter) and have him on a booster gel plus full spectrum antibiotics. If there is nothing in his fecal they want to run blood and do an ex-ray on him.

The vet I took him to is afraid this is either an overload of coccidia or genetic. If it’s genetic we have to decide to extend his life or put him down. Poor thing. Went from a $5 “pullet” to a $400 cockerel in the matter of a few hours lmao.
If he lives and it is a genetic thing, you shouldn't hatch any future chick's from him as he would pass on that gene to any offspring.

If he lives and it is a genetic thing, you shouldn't hatch any future chick's from him as he would pass on that gene to any offspring.
Yeah I don’t want him to have any babies..

We might make him a house chicken and not let him be outside since he doesn’t have the feathering cover as all the others.

Geesh, now people are stealing other people's bird's and slaughtering to sacrifice them?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rescued-6-hens-from-ritual-slaughter.1535454/
Nothing new - just doesn't make the news most days. Santeria is widely practiced in a lot of places that also practice Voodoo. You'd be surprised who tolerates/assimilates (called syncretism) Santeria into Christian religious practices. Members of our church were making regular visits to Cuba when it opened up in recent past years where we found out it is widely practiced. If you know the signs you might find them in your own neigborhood.

Last edited:
Nothing new - just doesn't make the news most days. Santeria is widely practiced in a lot of places that also practice Voodoo. You'd be surprised who tolerates/assimilates (called syncretism) Santeria into Christian religious practices. Members of our church were making regular visits to Cuba when it opened up in recent past years where we found out it is widely practiced. If you know the signs you might find them in your own neigborhood.
Glad mine are all locked up. I would imagine that if they were going to steal peoples chicken's for that, they would chose the one's that would be easier to get at.

107F today and the little cottontails would rather tolerate my 4' proximity than give up a cool spot under the pot!

cottontail under plant.jpg

107F today and the little cottontails would rather tolerate my 4' proximity than give up a cool spot under the pot!

View attachment 3168200
I don't blame them. Sometimes you just have to grab any shady spot that you can, and this way if any hawk's are around they won't spot you.

Back
Top Bottom