Arizona Chickens

The "city farm" homestead headquarters #2View attachment 3614855View attachment 3614856View attachment 3614857View attachment 3614858View attachment 3614859
Mesa, off Power and Brown Road.
Always check the map before heading out. The link on the website loads better than using it from here.
Bring your share and of they are seeds, please put in the book box, we are expecting rain in Arizona.
*****,DO NOT ADD SEEDS *****
to any location unless they have a waterproof container.

Freeplantngardenstands.org
Had to share that we were mentioned in this article on raising chickens.

https://chickenraising101.com/role-of-chickens-in-sustainable-pest-management/

Love to know what you decide to try and how they do
I have Moringa in pots that live outside in Mesa poolside under my gazebo - so partial shade. If they die in winter I usually can just cut them back and they will sprout from the roots or a sideshoot when they warm up. I get enough seeds from these that I can start more than I need from seed each year. These are not very good looking plants - scrawny and thin thriving on sheer total utter neglect (STUN). They only get watered once a week. I harvest leaves and seeds from these.

I also have Moringa near Prescott started mostly inside and for last few months outside still in the starter cups - only about 16" tall - stunted by the container size. I harvest leaves and dry those for vitamins for me or dogs. I plan to pot these up as houseplants (or outside in Mesa) and experiment trying to overwinter a few in the unheated greenhouse using a greenhouse in a greenhouse method.

I bought some moringa seeds but haven't planted them yet, I'm dealing with a couple of other emergencies right now and I'm exhausted. 😕

I posted about a month back about a farm northwest of Phoenix, in Wittman, that has a Youtube channel called Edge of Nowhere Farm. They have successfully grown moringa trees and even an impressive lawn/pasture for their hens. Their channel has lots of great info about growing plants and raising livestock in the desert.

I have Moringa in pots that live outside in Mesa poolside under my gazebo - so partial shade. If they die in winter I usually can just cut them back and they will sprout from the roots or a sideshoot when they warm up. I get enough seeds from these that I can start more than I need from seed each year. These are not very good looking plants - scrawny and thin thriving on sheer total utter neglect (STUN). They only get watered once a week. I harvest leaves and seeds from these.

I also have Moringa near Prescott started mostly inside and for last few months outside still in the starter cups - only about 16" tall - stunted by the container size. I harvest leaves and dry those for vitamins for me or dogs. I plan to pot these up as houseplants (or outside in Mesa) and experiment trying to overwinter a few in the unheated greenhouse using a greenhouse in a greenhouse method.
Think I'll give them another try here as houseplants. Tucson only gets a few nights down to freezing but it's been enough to kill every moringa I've had so far. Have had them grow taller than me in one summer but they never make it through.

Back
Top Bottom