Arizona Chickens

Thanks Beckyhsinglsc, I thought about it, think I'll take a picture and post it on there and see what happens. I'll post it here after I take it too.

Dr Burke at Cornerstone Animal Hospital in Gilbert is excellent. I know it is a long drive, from the NW, but he is a very good vet and is reasonably priced. Looking at that poor roo, I will guess that the wounds from the fight got infected. An alternative is fauvus, but I don't think it is that. Doesn't really look like pox, although it could be the early stages of a very heavy case.

What care have you given him? How long has this been going on?

Congrats Mahonri! Bet you told your chicks every day what time you expect them to hatch
wink.png

Bob's Henhouse. You can give Bar S in Wickenburg a call. I never asked them if they do chickens but they have successfully fixed up my horses, dogs, cats... Rick is very reasonable, does the necessary but no crazy city-vet stunts. Number is 928-684-7846. Sorry about your Roo! Keep us posted. I always like to learn more about chickens. Good luck!
fl.gif

Bob's Henhouse :

Can anyone recommend a poultry vet anywhere in the north or west end of the Phoenix area? My kid's favorite rooster has what looks like yellow blobs growing/forming on his wattle and face. He can't hardly open his eyes. I am not a fan of spending a fortune on animals, hard as that may sound, especially since I don't have it now, but if there is something that can be done I need to do it.

Thanks all.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/67557_img_03431.jpg

Any ideas what it is? Seems to have started after fighting amongst the roos for reordering the pecking order.

So sorry about your roo. Looks like fighting and pox .... there is i hear a variety of the pox. My chicken had the pox, she lost feathers and had white, black and reddish looking lumps or wort-like, scabs on her head, and body. she did recover. We separated her and and she did recover. I think your roo will recover too for ours looked real bad too. no wounds though.

I do know what you mean about not spending money on a chicken. But we ran into the same situation. Her name is daisy named by my grand daughter and yes you guessed it. she carried her in her arms in the car and into the office..... $95 later with a bottle of meds dolly recovered. We still laugh at how much we paid for a PET CHICKEN but when you look at what you pay for your other pets ( food, original cost and shots) then it's not that bad.... Pets are pets what can you do? When I looked for vets i did see some in the phx area...most will respond to a pet any thing if they do farm animals at all. hope you connect.​

Last edited:
Bob-- That poor rooster looks pitiful! Please let us know the diagnosis and how it was treated. Is it oozy, too?

As for my rooster, he has lost all of his manners. We started putting the juvies (4 of them) and the adults (3 of them) all together in the back yard during the day. The "big" roo (he can't get so big since he is just a silkie) picks at the little roo, a polish. I figure it is just pecking order establishment and it's nothing severe. However, the big roo, Puff, has no sense of propriety with the young ladies. He might look smooth, but I assure you, he is not. He runs at full speed and jumps onto their backs! This upsets his favorite hen, a silkie that is now the smallest of the bunch. She is little, but she gets mad and pecks whoever he jumps. I always thought of Puff as a gentleman. I am so disappointed. He could at least do the man dance for them first!

Bob,

i am so sorry about cachubby. i know that your boys are very attached to him. i hope that he recovers. it sounds like you have to dust all your birds now. i just had surgery last week(ick) and am still taking pain killers, but if i was feeling better i would be there to help you dust all those birds. perhaps someone will come and help you? you have so many, you can't possibly do it alone.

North Central Animal Hospital
602-395-9773

They also do house calls. Can't remember if this one was posted or not. They are on Central and Dunlap.

Hi,
I am new here, and recently became interested in buying a couple chickens. I live in chandler, az, but I'm not sure where I can go to find some chicks, without it being over an hour drive. Does anybody know a place in chandler, or close by that sells chickens? Any help would be much appreicated

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom