Arizona Chickens

Oh thank you for the thought and I so would love to get the breeds I lost back. Expecially my royal palm tom. Wish you were closer!
Thanks to everyone. I have a hard time today. I keep tearing up. The pen looks so empty. Blue Bell is doing good! Poor tailless sweet old turkey girl!

Fuzzybird, I meant to add, PM me if you are interested, I can't keep up with this thread so I don't always read all the posts. I don't know what other breeds you lost, I also have blue slate and lavender, mottled black, & some interesting mixed breeds. I am not advertising the Royal Palms for sale, I was planning on picking one or two out for myself when they get older, so they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Disease update from the mouth of Dr. Noon from the state vets office.

He will be out to my house tomorrow afternoon to test for Newcastle and Avian influenza.

The most prevalent disease he has seen in the Phoenix area is mycoplasma.

He said several interesting things:

• I almost definitely got it from the birds I purchased from the poultry show.

• Once you have it the only way to get rid of it is get rid of the birds - they will always be carriers and if I introduce young birds to my flock, they will get it.

• Tylan is an excellent choice for treating it (I cannot remember if he said excellent or the best) but it will sweep it under the rug - not eradicate it.

• Purchase birds from a clean hatchery that tests and guarantees birds clean of mycoplasma like McMurray. (Specifically named them)

• They cannot test for mycoplasma but they can give us a kit, we swab several birds and send the sample in to be tested (about $85)

• The eggs and meat from the birds are safe to eat, not communicable to humans - chickens and turkeys only (not parrots either)

We do not know if we will get our flock tested for this - our actions will probably be the same either way - we will let them live out their lives and start a new flock over completely in a couple of years.

The other option is to give them all away to someone who will send them to freezer camp.

Mikey is not a happy camper in Alabama right now.

He will be out to my house tomorrow afternoon to test for Newcastle and Avian influenza.

• Once you have it the only way to get rid of it is get rid of the birds - they will always be carriers and if I introduce young birds to my flock, they will get it.

• Tylan is an excellent choice for treating it (I cannot remember if he said excellent or the best) but it will sweep it under the rug - not eradicate it.

• Purchase birds from a clean hatchery that tests and guarantees birds clean of mycoplasma like McMurray. (Specifically named them)

• They cannot test for mycoplasma but they can give us a kit, we swab several birds and send the sample in to be tested (about $85)

• The eggs and meat from the birds are safe to eat, not communicable to humans - chickens and turkeys only (not parrots either)

We do not know if we will get our flock tested for this - our actions will probably be the same either way - we will let them live out their lives and start a new flock over completely in a couple of years.

The other option is to give them all away to someone who will send them to freezer camp.

There are vaccines for MG. http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/toc_203400.htm gives a fairly thorough writeup on mycoplasmas in poultry.

This is very interesting!

Oh Mikey, I hope you don't loose all of your Chickens!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

I've got extra Royal Palm toms, raising up a bunch from a different bloodline from the stock I have, the oldest are 3 months old now and looks like I've got more toms than I will need. If you know anybody close to you making a trip down this way, maybe they'd pick one up for you...they are only $20 this size/age, raised organically, too.
Oh, I would scratch up the $20 some how if I could only get one of the baby Royal Palms! Goldy was a bourbon red.
Is anyone going to Tucson!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom