Arizona

Hi, I'm sorry I haven't checked in lately - the Chicken Class was nice! We got to see the chickens on the Urban Farm in N Central Phoenix, and the class was given by a guy who works FT and takes care of his flock here somewhere in the Valley. We enjoyed it and felt a lot more comfortable w/the idea of raising our own chickens after it was done. This Saturday, we're going back to the Urban Farm to take a Fruit tree class; I'll be attempting fruit trees for the first time. I plan to get apple, peach, lime, grapefruit (we have a friend who has the oranges and lemons covered already), and maybe some grapes.

My mother got a book about chicken tractors, I've read that, and I think we'll give that a try in addition to hay bale gardening. It sounds like a great way to add diversity to your chickens' diet (bugs n' grass) and fertilize your garden at the same time. Here's the book on half.com if you're curious: Chicken Tractor book.

When we get our chickens depends on when we get their tractor built, which depends on my DH.
wink.png
If any of you in AZ have already done this, I'd love to hear about it!

Road Warriors Egg Transportation - take your eggs to work or on vacation
walkingbird replied to this thread on March 11, 1:42 pm
So, I have recently discovered ozexpat's Diary of a Crazy Chicken Man, and am reading furiously to catch up. Amazing thread, I live there vicariously while it is snowy where I am. I saw this link in there, and thought, Hey! I'm going on vacation soon!

April 21st or 23rd or so, I will be driving from the Phoenix, AZ area to the Denver, CO area. I would be glad to transport eggs if anyone wants to send/receive them, although I myself will not have an incubator to hatch in or any eggs to provide (unless my button quail get off their a**es and start making with the nookie).

It would be an 18 hour trip by car with a probable overnight stop.

Let me know!

Back
Top Bottom