Arkansas Blue egg layers

Pics

1muttsfan

Up Northerner
13 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Upper Peninsula Michigan
Since the original thread was closed, hopefully we can start again as there are many questions about and much interest in this breed.

This thread is for breed discussion only, including genetics, characteristics, and people's experience with these birds.

If you have issues with other members, or feel the need to complain or vent, please do so in a PM, or contact a moderator.

I believe we can have a civil discussion, and let everyone benefit from each other's experience. Poor sportsmanship will not be tolerated, and will be reported immediately for moderation.

I have a question for @nicalandia - I am intrigued by the possibility of getting autosexing chicks with an AB/Cream Legbar cross. Especially since I have CL's and some AB's in the incubator (of course now that I would like a roo they will all be hens!). Would you expound on this cross a little? My CL eggs tend towards a green tint, would this decrease with a cross such as this?

Picture of AB eggs (left) and some CL eggs from my flock (R)

Also, I understand from @ronott1 that AB's take a little extra time to hatch - do you mean the hatches are prolonged from first to last egg, or that the chicks each take longer to emerge? Or both?

Thanks!

Since the original thread was closed, hopefully we can start again as there are many questions about and much interest in this breed.

This thread is for breed discussion only, including genetics, characteristics, and people's experience with these birds.

If you have issues with other members, or feel the need to complain or vent, please do so in a PM, or contact a moderator.

I believe we can have a civil discussion, and let everyone benefit from each other's experience. Poor sportsmanship will not be tolerated, and will be reported immediately for moderation.

Link to the original thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/624359/blue-egg-layers-from-university-of-arkansas/1080

Thanks for re-posting! I was just about to do so myself!

Here are some pictures from Caj1985's profile.

I am hoping to be hatching and breeding U of A birds soon but I haven't heard back yet if eggs were shipped.

I have a question for @nicalandia - I am intrigued by the possibility of getting autosexing chicks with an AB/Cream Legbar cross. Especially since I have CL's and some AB's in the incubator (of course now that I would like a roo they will all be hens!). Would you expound on this cross a little? My CL eggs tend towards a green tint, would this decrease with a cross such as this?

Also, I understand from @ronott1 that AB's take a little extra time to hatch - do you mean the hatches are prolonged from first to last egg, or that the chicks each take longer to emerge? Or both?

Thanks!

With the sex linking of the Barring gene if you cross a AB rooster over CL(barred) hens you should get non-barred hens, and only barred roosters because the barring resides on the Z chromosome and not the W chromosome. Roosters of this cross will have one barred Z chromosome and one non-barred. Females will have only 1 non-barred Z chromosome.

Picture of AB eggs (left) and some CL eggs from my flock (R)

Thanks!

Thank you for starting the new thread! I have subscribed to it.

The ABs start about half a day late. They hatch normally for each egg with a pip, resting a while(up to 10 hours or so) and then zipping. It is between 36 and 48 hours from start to finish. Delawares do not do this. My hatch that just finished had Arkansas blues, Partridge Penedesencas and ABs x Crele Penes(OEs or Olive Eggers). The Partridge Penes hatched a day before the first ABs hatched. The OEs started half a day after the first AB hatched. The last AB hatched half a day after the last OE.

I schedule three days for hatches and remain calm now!

Sounds like 3 day indigestion
roll.png

Sounds like 3 day indigestion
roll.png
Yes, the first couple of times were very nerve wracking. I just kick back now and relax.

They are very cute though. I have a video of the chicks from the last hatch from yesterday. The Blue and splash chicks are ABs. They black ones are some OEs and some ABs. The cute chipmunk chicks are Partridge Penedesencas.

vimeo_logo.png

Aw, chick videos are always so sweet. And I am glad to see that I am not the ONLY person who sticks their finger in front of the lens
lol.png
. My videos are not close to Mary's quality! They look like nice healthy chicks.

Thanks Manning, sounds too good to be true.
Keep in mind, this would only be sex linked in the F1 cross, just like Black Sex Link chickens because it uses the same principle. I also have no clue what the offspring would look like to tell them apart, and with the bluing genetics from the AB, there would be two variations of each sex making day old sexing a bit more complicated - that is unless you use either a splash rooster or a black rooster.

Back
Top Bottom