Arkus coop... does anyone have one and doesn’t mind answering questions?

RebsChooks

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2018
Bishops Stortford, UK
If you have an Arkus coop, I wonder if you could help. Our new Arkus arrived yesterday. I am already wishing I got the poo tray but hoping I will be able to bodge something ongoing...

However I am wondering what you do about daily removal of poo. It seems like the whole roof needs to be removed each time and the catches are fiddly and it takes a while - or will I get used to them?! - and also it is a bit heavy for that. Am I missing a way of propping it open like the lid of our old wooden coop?

Also would be interested in your cleaning regime for it. Once I sweep out the bedding (and how the heck do you get it out of those small nest boxes?! Seems like I would need a hoover!), should I just spray it down with vinegar and water, and would that get into the joins or should I take it apart? We just had a major red mite infestation so anxious to make sure they don’t find a place to hide in the new coop.

Any advice gratefully received!

I don't have an Arkus, but I do have something similar. Doesn't the back come off independently so you can reach in? A poop tray is a worthwhile investment IMO, makes cleaning much easier; is it too late to order one from the company?
I assume the nest boxes detach (without having to take the whole thing apart); could you tip them upside down to get all bedding out?

how's it going @RebsChooks ? red mites down if not out? cleaning regime settled down? I'd really like to know because I'm thinking of getting an Arkus too.

Hmmmm, I have no experience of another plastic coop but I am not overly impressed. Problems are:

1. No instructions for assembling the base and putting the coop on it, so we had things the wrong way around first time, which meant the ladder would not attach.

2. The nestboxes have a lip so you can’t sweep them out. But neither do they detach easily. You need a hammer to get them off and then it is hard to get them back on again.

2. Our old wooden coop had a lid that propped open, so you could pooh pick and get chickens out at night for red mite treatments, etc. This lid does not prop open and is heavy. The Arkus people said the back of the coop drops open for cleaning, but we have the medium and it is a long coop to reach right into. Much easier from above. And of course that does not help for grabbing chickens. What I have been doing is leaving one side unclipped, and then opening it and supporting it with my head while I grab chickens. Not ideal. I don’t worry about foxes though, when leaving it I clipped, as it is so heavy.

3. I thought the surfaces of the plastic would be smooth, but they’re textured sort of rough. I worry this gives red mite a hold.

4. I hate the way the nestboxes open. It’s awkward and you can’t do it quickly.

So far no red mite, though, thank goodness, and I have stopped finding them on me. That might be the weather turning cold, though?

So overall, not impressed! Am wishing we’d gone for the Solway now, but no idea what issues that would have presented!

Thanks for your insights - written with humour as well as detail! :lol: And at least you've got rid of the dreaded mites :smack which seem to have been a real bane before. Have you got back to the company to ask for their advice on these other issues?

Back
Top Bottom