1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Around 9 weeks old I think

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MommyRae, Oct 15, 2014.

1. MommyRae

MommyRae New Egg

Oct 15, 2014
    Goodsprings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My first chickens! Yay! Do I need a rooster? I have 10 barred rocks and six RIR -all hens

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!![​IMG]

Cute flock!! What exactly are you asking by do you need a rooster? Roosters are very good flock guards and will give their lives when defending against a predator. They are also good alarm clocks and will provide fertilization in the hens' eggs. (Which means they can hatch chicks.) However, roosters are VERY loud. Crowing all day long. They also can be mean and tend to be bossy. (That all depends on breed though.) Hens do not need a rooster to lay eggs. You, again, only need a rooster for fertile eggs that will hatch chicks after 21 days of incubation.

After looking at your birds it looks as if you may have one RIR rooster. How old are your birds?

3. MommyRae

MommyRae New Egg

Oct 15, 2014
    Goodsprings
    Almost 10 weeks old. what do you see that makes you think one could be a rooster? That would be nice if have one.

4. MommyRae

MommyRae New Egg

Oct 15, 2014
    Goodsprings
    I also heard hens will get along with each other better if a rooster is around. Is that true?

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    At 10 weeks then it probably isn't. But the in the front at the bottom is the one I was suspicious about
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by