Arrrrrgh.....temp fluctuations in different spots in incubator.

paneubert

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 20, 2015
Snohomish County, Washington State
My Coop
My Coop
Went into lockdown yesterday and found that like many others, removing the egg turner and lowering the eggs further from the heater and fan caused some temperature issues. I have multiple thermometers and humidity monitors in there that up till now were fairly in line with each other, but which now were showing a range from 97 to 102.... I figured it would just take some time to settle in, so I did not touch it until about 12 hours later when things were still overall reading low. So I bumped the temp to 100.5

But now after 24 hours they all still read a large range (with the highest at 102). I noticed the "largest" thermometer (the one that sticks up the most from the floor) was reading the highest, so I cracked the top to stick my laser thermometer in there to spot check some temps (and to put a wet sponge in there since I cant get the humidity up even after filling all the water channels yesterday). And what do I find.....some eggs at 97, some at 102.... Yikes. It seems even a tiny change in elevation makes a big temp difference. Also surprisingly it seems hottest to the sides of the fan and heater, not directly underneath....hmm...

For now I knocked the temp back down to 100. We will see what happens....

In lockdown, I wouldn't worry about it too much. During incubation I periodically switch the location of the eggs to random spots when I return them after candling so hopefully everyone spends some time in warmer and cooler spots. When I go into so-called lockdown I lower the temps down to 99.5 (forced air) and call it good. When I first started incubating I was very paranoid about fluctuations, humidity, etc and now I am much more laid back and hatch rates improved drastically. I don't even measure my humidity anymore, I just judge by air cells and at hatch time I lay a damp washcloth into a tupperware lid and call it good as long as no one is shrinkwrapped.

When I first started incubating I was very paranoid about fluctuations, humidity, etc and now I am much more laid back and hatch rates improved drastically. I don't even measure my humidity anymore

Yeah, I swore I would not be one of those people who freaks out....but here we are. Hahah. I am not that worried. I might have cooked a few, and I might have delayed a few others. But I assume some will be in the middle and hatch on time.

At 102, it's doubtful they were cooked (I know you don't mean literally lol). There are some people living in places where the outdoor temps are near that and the broodies are sitting on the eggs so surely those eggs are getting hot as all get out and they are hatching fine.

I think you are right. Some of the cooler ones will just take a bit longer to hatch, though I wouldn't expect a difference of more than a day, which happens even with perfect temps.

My LG still air, has "moments". Most of the time, it behaves. But, out of the blue, I'll look over and see it at 104! It won't do it often, thank goodness, but seems that it takes quite a lot of fussing, then it bottoms around 98, and eventually lands right back around 100 to 101. I completely lose my mind when this happens... it did just yesterday. Last time it happened was during a different hatch. But it seems that at least during one hatching session, it has to act up. Grr

Went to the zoo (Pro Tip: The zoo is not busy on the 4th of July if you go right when they open). Came home in time to see a 4th baby jump out of its shell. It was nuts. We looked in and saw the original 3, and then a 4th pretty much cracked the top of the shell and came out as we watched.

Running multiple measuring devices will only gain you a headache. Perform a salt test on a hygrometer to calibrate it then use that. Use one thermometer, calibrate it or not just stick with one thermometer. The key to getting better hatch rates is to tweak what you're doing while using the same equipment. With one thermometer you measure the temp in the same place and same height all the time. I your hatch is early run a little colder next batch. If your hatch is late run a bit hotter next batch. With the same thermometer you can dial in the temp you want to incubate/hatch at.

Yikes.....so by now any eggs left in the incubator were assumed to be bad (I had 6 left from 30+). Since they are quail, I did not even bother to candle, so these could have been infertile or quitters at any point. We are days overdue, so I figured it was safe to toss. I was going to just toss them all, but I decided to float test really quick just for fun. 5 were super high floaters....but one was barely floating and was a rockin...... I had already pretty much shut down the incubator. So I quickly set it back up. Only one of the "bad" eggs was doing this, so I guess I should have waited a while longer to shut it down.... Since I was worried I had drowned the baby by float testing ( I did not see an external pip, but I was rushing due to being so surprised), I decided to at least externally pip the egg so he/she could get some air.... Membrane was a little bloody.... So yeah, I am leaving him/her in there all alone to see if he/she manages to hatch. I will keep an eye to make sure the membrane doesnt dry out and will drip water on it if needed I guess.

Edit to add: When I externally pipped it, there was virtually no air cell I could see. Baby beak right against the shell. Maybe it was the external membrane that I was confusing with an internal.....but just seemed weird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom