Artificial Grass

bulldogbeware

Hatching
Jun 20, 2018
Hello, I’m new here and to raising chickens. I am brooding the chickens now in the house. I am building a chicken coop, which will be on concret. I would eventually like to let the chickens out to roam around the backyard. I have a large patch of artificial grass in my backyard. Will the chickens tear up my artificial grass? Will they eat it? Thank you in advance.

Chickens absolutely LOVE pecking around in grass, and they especially love to eat and scratch it. I would definitely be careful with the artificial grass, especially since I have heard chickens enjoy eating non-food items (like styrofoam) so I can't imagine they would care, because it even LOOKS like food. They might learn to stay on the real grass, but I would watch them carefully to make sure they aren't ingesting fake grass. My chickens always scratch the grass until there are big fresh dirt holes for them to take a dust bath in, so I am also guessing that they would try to do the same in the fake grass. Hope it all works out!

Can you fence off the part with artificial grass? Mine scratch around but have not dug any holes, but I have an area for dust bathing and they do use that and only that. I would think they would peck at it.

My hens don't chew on artificial grass either. But they do have a seed feeder, which is much more interesting for them than artificial grass. I've made a pen for them where I put artificial grass from artificialgrass-manchester.co.uk. It's safe for the animals and creates more tidiness. They used to run all over the house, and it's pretty big, and some wouldn't always come back, and I'd have to look for them, and often they'd even run off into the neighbor's house. But the biggest problem was the filth they were spreading here and there.

Hello, I’m new here and to raising chickens. I am brooding the chickens now in the house. I am building a chicken coop, which will be on concret. I would eventually like to let the chickens out to roam around the backyard. I have a large patch of artificial grass in my backyard. Will the chickens tear up my artificial grass? Will they eat it? Thank you in advance.

Back
Top Bottom