Artificial Turf in Duck Run?

MerryFeather

Chirping
May 10, 2021
We have been having issues with bumblefoot with our ducks for awhile now. We have been treating it as best we can and have talked to a vet. We have been trying different types of ground cover in the run to see if we can help improve their feet. We removed the pavers around the pool and have been using gym mat instead but it hasn't seemed to help as much as we hoped. Has anyone here ever tried artificial turf around a duck pool?

Thanks

sounds like it would be a poop-filled nightmare in a week and the ducks might try to eat the plastic. plain dirt or a thick layer of chopped straw would work better imo.

sounds like it would be a poop-filled nightmare in a week and the ducks might try to eat the plastic. plain dirt or a thick layer of chopped straw would work better imo.
I use wood chip..but i also first created a " french drain" ? I dig down from about 6inches outside pool or pond amd then slope toward the middle..i dig at least a hole big as a 5gallon bucket..pour some gravel in bottom of hole then place bucket that i have drilled holes in bottom and about 10 inches up sides..pour more gravel around bucket then fill with either gravel or wood chip..and everything ive dug out..then surround pool area too. As they make a mess it drains, amd dissipates quite quickly.

I do have astroturf for my duckies. It has worked quite well and drains rapidly - HOWEVER.... research french drain as mentioned... and be prepared to scoop the poop.
If you scoop daily and apply as fertilizer around your property you can use a hose on jet setting and it cleans up beautifully. If you aren't willing to scoop and deal with the poop don't do it. But then again...ducks are not for you if you aren't willing to deal with poop, and lots of it! :gig

I know the thread is a little old but I just wanted to add that I think that using artificial turf around the pool could be a great idea. Not only is it comfortable for the ducks to walk on, but it also provides a more sanitary environment. And the best part? You can buy turf rolls online easily and get them delivered right to your doorstep! When you install the turf, make sure to secure it down properly so that it doesn't shift around too much. You might also want to consider adding a layer of sand underneath the turf to help with drainage. I hope this helps, and that your ducks' feet start feeling better soon!

I will add in case others come here for answers
I have had fake grass around my pond for 2 years now
I just spray the poo and it turns to water and drains under the grass
This also prevents ducks from digging around the pool
I got a second pond last year and didn’t put the fake grass and the ducks ruined the real grass and now I have a big mud pit
I have bought the fake grass to put around the second one now

Attachments

• 2CCB98C5-D532-4EFD-97C1-BE3BE03EB501.png
    2CCB98C5-D532-4EFD-97C1-BE3BE03EB501.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 940F04EB-E53C-47EB-94C4-D0E58B66CB1F.png
    940F04EB-E53C-47EB-94C4-D0E58B66CB1F.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
We have been having issues with bumblefoot with our ducks for awhile now. We have been treating it as best we can and have talked to a vet. We have been trying different types of ground cover in the run to see if we can help improve their feet. We removed the pavers around the pool and have been using gym mat instead but it hasn't seemed to help as much as we hoped. Has anyone here ever tried artificial turf around a duck pool?

Thanks
When I first started with my 2 ducks I used artificial right in their little coop. I'd pull it out ever other day and just hose it off. That was tough because it was so enclosed. Sounds like what you are planning would work well as you can just blast it with a hose. It cleans up beautifully. Just make sure where you blast it is going to work for you. Duck poop is fabulous for the garden and the lawn. My grass is lovelier than it's ever been.

Back
Top Bottom