As far as weeds go...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrsengeseth, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

is there any (apart from say poision ivy or such) that i SHOULDN"T let them have? Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    There aren't too many in our gardens that would be toxic, apart from nightshade and such. However, different weeds show up in different parts of the country. Native species can be found in a yard also and some of those are toxic.

Here is a Toxic Plants, UCDavis site. Most of these are plants that you might expect to find in a yard.

The idea is that these plants are toxic to humans but as it says, "If a plant is known to be hazardous to humans, it will probably be toxic for animals as well."

You can also go to the bottom of the page and click on "Safe Plants." If what you are thinking of giving the chickens are native, range plants - I have a few more links that may be of help.

Steve

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    My chickens free range all day, and I have watched them peck at something, then spit it out. I think they know what is distasteful.

Cheri

5. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Oh yeah, except for the time they tried to OD on the sweet feed for the goat. [​IMG]

You think they will know what not to eat too much of, and then they do it, lol.

Cheri

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by