As if I needed another reason to expand my flock...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MacTech, Feb 25, 2015.

1. MacTech

MacTech Chillin' With My Peeps

Since Purina is getting some bad press about their "Beneful" line of dog food sickening pets, it got me thinking and doing some research....

I did feed Cooper Beneful a few months back, but after reading the ingredient list, I had second thoughts, too much corn, soy, and meat by-products in it, so I switched to Rachel Ray's Nu-Trish line, but that seems to be having problems too, not as bad as Purina, though, and they seemed to have changed the formulation of Nu-Trish recently, Cooper is picking at it more hesitantly...

Blue Buffalo? Holy Belgium! Is that expensive in the big bag...

....then it hit me, I have access to a nutritionally complete protein source that Cooper absolutely *adores*....

Eggs, he LOVES my flock's eggs, especially when scrambled or "fried" (a spritz of olive oil on a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet) and allowed to cool to a safe temperature, or the spare yolks when I make hard boiled eggs or egg salad, whenever I cook up eggs, he's begging for his share...

Could you say "no" to this face?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, when I get my replacement chicks this season, I'll get a few extra for Cooper, maybe some egg-machine breeds like the Golden Comet so I can have a reliable source of *SAFE* food, food I know how it's raised and what it's been eating...

Since I pasture raise/free range the hens, and they only eat commercial food in the winter, I will only have a slight increase in feed consumption, but end up with food I'm absolutely sure is safe for my buddy

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My MIL feeds eggs to her dog frequently too and he loves them.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

No, I could not say no to that face!! He's so precious. He knows good stuff when he sees "tastes" it! Thanks for sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by