as you can tell by the user name

You sound just like my neighbor! His wife won't let him either, so he comes down the hill and plays with mine. She has begun to warm to them since they will come running to anyone in the hopes of FOOD! My husband said no too, but I did it anyway. Now he picks up chickens here and there and carries them around telling them how someday he's gonna get rid of them all.
hmm.png
They don't believe him, so they never care. My seven year old has gotten over 100 chickens at present and I support him 100% My husband has grudgingly built 4 of our coops. I think he rather enjoys that part. He likes to show them and the chickens off to everyone that comes out to our farm. He has also noticed a drastic drop in bugs in and around the horse yard and throughout the hay field after it's cut.

My husband also said NO about the pig. Now he can't wait to eat him and always stops to give Hammy a good scratch and a handful of weeds. He said the same about the ducks and geese, but now admits that they do a terrific job in the garden and thinks we should have gotten more so he never has to weed.
roll.png
Take your wife to a place that has chickens where you can sit and watch them. They have very unique personalities and are a riot to watch. It's much better than watching TV. Once she starts softening have her help pick out breeds/chicks. Find ones that will fit both your needs. You could try checking out poultry shows or 4H fairs to see some of the different birds. She may find one she likes. My son found a silkie at one last year that just loved to cuddle. We don't have a silkie yet, but only time will tell.
wink.png

WELCOME. i new here too. i have found such great information. and i get a kick out of reading others' stories.

i hope all these replies will help convince her. there really is a BIG difference in the eggs. my oldest nephew won a chick at an Easter egg hunt. i'm glad i allowed him to keep her here. it turned out to be a RIR hen. Shim is molting right now, so we had to buy store eggs (i still go for the "free range, vegetarian fed" eggs). my youngest niece was cooking breakfast for us and got soooo mad. 3 of 5 eggs broke the yellow. 2 broke just because she hit the egg too hard when she was cracking the egg. she is used to hitting the egg hard because Shim's egg shells are very thick. she turned to me and said "that's those lousy grocerie store eggs you bought. they ruined our breakfast! Shim better hurry up and start laying again!" she's only 7 (going on 27), but a good cook and recognizes quality eggs. food cooked with our Shim's eggs are SHIMALICOUS! and she is just like a dog or cat; maybe because we have 3 dogs and 2 cats. she sleeps with me most every night; when the kids are here she sleeps with them. she wears a diaper when in the house, but she gets a lot of outside time during the day to eat "yard food" - NEVER alone, our 109 lb. german shepard guards her closely.

BEST OF LUCK.

My wife said no also. But now she is as into the chickens as I am. They are easy to take care of and not expensive until you get into large coops. Anyway good luck. It took me years to convince her. But once she gave in she was hooked. What are her reservations about chickens? Post those and we can all give you ideas to combat those specific fears.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Although I love Imp's idea, you've already weighed in on that...
I used my youngest son when he was about 3 to get the dobie I wanted. It worked for me, hope it works for you!
Do you know anyone that has any chicks now? If so, take your daughter on some 'errands' and come back with some adorable pics of her holding/playing with them!

We live in an urban setting along a busy highway. Ithink she's concerned about the look. I have the plans drawn up. Building the coop will be a late winter or early spring project. Once that is built, chickens will follow. I'm only looking at 3 or 4 hens. She thinks they will stink. I have been bringing farm fresh eggs, hoping she notices the difference.

Back
Top Bottom