Ascarids (worms) general questions

Hello everyone! I found out from my dog's vet that my backyard flock of six hens (1.5 year olds) most likely have Ascarids which I was informed is a type of worm. The vet discovered these worms were present in my dog's fecal matter (which she said is not a big deal because it does not impact dogs) but she said I may want to look into it if I have any birds. I have done a little internet research already but I have some questions that I wanted to ask of those who have experience with these ascarids being present in their backyard, free ranging flocks.

Some background: We free range our six hens daily- sometimes for an hour, sometimes all day. They interact with all sorts of terrain and wildlife as a result (wild turkey, deer, groundhogs, etc.). They also eat lots of earthworms, especially with all of the rain we have been having.

1) It sounds like ascarids are very common. Have you dealt with them before? What was your course of action?

2) Should I do anything at all? It sounds like ascarids are common and can come back easily with free range flocks so I am wondering if its worth treating?

3) My research found that it does not typically effect eggs. Have you found this to be true?

4) All my hens are acting normally- eating well, drinking well, acting as they usually do. I would love any feedback on how to handle this situation as it is my first time dealing with it.

5) The vet found ascarids in my dog and assumes my chickens have it. Should I do any testing of their fecal matter to be sure though first? If I was so treat it, do I have to make sure they 100% have them first?

6) Is there another name for ascarids? I am wondering if more will pop up in a search engine under a different name?

Thank you!

I believe that ascarids is a type of roundworm, i would treat with safegard dewormer. It will not hurt your hens if they do not have worms, but the dewormer will be present in their eggs for 2 weeks. A fecal test at your local lab will tell you if they do indeed have worms, but it is not necessary.

I believe that ascarids is a type of roundworm, i would treat with safegard dewormer. It will not hurt your hens if they do not have worms, but the dewormer will be present in their eggs for 2 weeks. A fecal test at your local lab will tell you if they do indeed have worms, but it is not necessary.
Would

Merck Animal Health Safe-Guard 125ML Goat Dewormer from Tractor Supply work? Does the same one work on chickens too? Thank you!

Would

Merck Animal Health Safe-Guard 125ML Goat Dewormer from Tractor Supply work? Does the same one work on chickens too? Thank you!
Yes, you can use the Safeguard liquid goat wormer. The dosage is 0.25ml per pound given orally to each chicken using a syringe without a needle for 5 days straight. The dosage for a 5 pound hen is 1.25ml orally for 5 days.
The liquid goat wormer will take eliminate all types of roundworms including large roundworms (ascarids).

Another wormer you can use is Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken using a needle without a syringe. Then redose again in 10-14 days.

Yes, you can use the Safeguard liquid goat wormer. The dosage is 0.25ml per pound given orally to each chicken using a syringe without a needle for 5 days straight. The dosage for a 5 pound hen is 1.25ml orally for 5 days.
The liquid goat wormer will take eliminate all types of roundworms including large roundworms (ascarids).

Another wormer you can use is Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken using a needle without a syringe. Then redose again in 10-14 days.
This is so helpful! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom