Ascites Help

Chirping
Sep 2, 2021
We have an old chicken with ascites. We are planning on trying to drain the fluid to give her some more time and make her more comfortable, but we are afraid of botching it and causing her pain or a more unpleasant death. I contacted a local animal sanctuary to see if they could help and I was told that it was important to figure out whether the fluid is building up from the heart or the abdomen.
I need help with two things: how to diagnose the origin of the fluid and advice for the process of draining a chicken, as I have never done it before nor have I seen it.
For her symptoms, she is swelling mostly at the underside rear of her body. Her belly looks like its sagging. She still eats, but only a little, but her water consumption seems good. She doesn't walk around much and prefers to lay down most of the time. Sometimes, she'll stand normally, but other times she will stand like a penguin, with her body erect and her neck shrunken back toward her shoulders. When she lays down, it is hard to see anything unusual. Her swelling has been increasing steadily, even before I knew what might be wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.

We have an old chicken with ascites. We are planning on trying to drain the fluid to give her some more time and make her more comfortable, but we are afraid of botching it and causing her pain or a more unpleasant death. I contacted a local animal sanctuary to see if they could help and I was told that it was important to figure out whether the fluid is building up from the heart or the abdomen.
I need help with two things: how to diagnose the origin of the fluid and advice for the process of draining a chicken, as I have never done it before nor have I seen it.
For her symptoms, she is swelling mostly at the underside rear of her body. Her belly looks like its sagging. She still eats, but only a little, but her water consumption seems good. She doesn't walk around much and prefers to lay down most of the time. Sometimes, she'll stand normally, but other times she will stand like a penguin, with her body erect and her neck shrunken back toward her shoulders. When she lays down, it is hard to see anything unusual. Her swelling has been increasing steadily, even before I knew what might be wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ascites is caused by leakage of the liver, when the liver leaks fluid the fluid builds up in the abdomen. Ascites is caused by a reproduction issue.
To drain the abdomen I think you'll want to use a 18 gauge needle.

Ascites is caused by leakage of the liver, when the liver leaks fluid the fluid builds up in the abdomen. Ascites is caused by a reproduction issue.
To drain the abdomen I think you'll want to use a 18 gauge needle.
Thank you! I really appreciate your help. The needle needed was the biggest concern, as a lot of instructions online just say "syringe" without any specification.

Thank you! I really appreciate your help. The needle needed was the biggest concern, as a lot of instructions online just say "syringe" without any specification.
The needle attaches to the end of the syringe, so you can get a syringe or just stick the needle in and let the fluid drain out. Using a syringe is quicker.

For her symptoms, she is swelling mostly at the underside rear of her body. Her belly looks like its sagging. She still eats, but only a little, but her water consumption seems good. She doesn't walk around much and prefers to lay down most of the time. Sometimes, she'll stand normally, but other times she will stand like a penguin, with her body erect and her neck shrunken back toward her shoulders. When she lays down, it is hard to see anything unusual. Her swelling has been increasing steadily,
Ascites is a symptom of having fluid in the abdomen.

It can be caused by organ failure/dysfunction (heart, liver, etc.) and/or can be due to reproductive disorders (Cancer, tumors, etc.)

Unless you have a vet that can examine her and do some testing there really is no way to know the cause (origin) of the fluid (whether it's heart, liver, reproductive).

Draining fluid can give some relief and make the hen more comfortable for a period of time, but the underlying condition/cause/origin will still exist. Draining is given as a supportive care measure, but there are risks like infection, sometimes draining can cause a hen to go into cardiac arrest as well, so keep these things in mind.

If you lose her, then investigating further either by doing your own informal necropsy or by sending the body to your state lab will give you some answers to the cause.

If you feel it's necessary to drain her, then this video may be helpful in showing you how.

Ascites is a symptom of having fluid in the abdomen.

It can be caused by organ failure/dysfunction (heart, liver, etc.) and/or can be due to reproductive disorders (Cancer, tumors, etc.)

Unless you have a vet that can examine her and do some testing there really is no way to know the cause (origin) of the fluid (whether it's heart, liver, reproductive).

Draining fluid can give some relief and make the hen more comfortable for a period of time, but the underlying condition/cause/origin will still exist. Draining is given as a supportive care measure, but there are risks like infection, sometimes draining can cause a hen to go into cardiac arrest as well, so keep these things in mind.

If you lose her, then investigating further either by doing your own informal necropsy or by sending the body to your state lab will give you some answers to the cause.

If you feel it's necessary to drain her, then this video may be helpful in showing you how.
Thank you. I already knew that it wouldn't cure the problem, I just wanted to see if extending her life and giving her some relief was possible. You sound really knowledgeable!

For what it is worth, I have seen ascites (water belly) in about half of the hens who have died, of old age, reproductive issues, or unknown reasons. Many times it is only seen when opening the abdominal cavity during a home necropsy (autopsy.) The other findings have included cancer, fatty liver disease once, and reproductive issues. Heart failure, while a possible cause, may be more common in meat birds.

For what it is worth, I have seen ascites (water belly) in about half of the hens who have died, of old age, reproductive issues, or unknown reasons. Many times it is only seen when opening the abdominal cavity during a home necropsy (autopsy.) The other findings have included cancer, fatty liver disease once, and reproductive issues. Heart failure, while a possible cause, may be more common in meat birds.
@ eggcessive gave me a link this link to the needle a few weeks ago. (Thanks again!)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-disposable-needle-18g-x-1-pack-of-6

The syringes are next to the needles at TSC. I was terrified of draining her, but after watching some videos and making sure I had the right equipment, I did it successfully with no problems! Just remember not to drain too much or it can cause her to go into shock.

You can do it! :D

Back
Top Bottom