Ascites in an older hen

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
We have an older hen (5+ years) who has developed ascites (water belly) randomly. I’m a nurse and know how to drain such things but we will be taking her a to a vet for further evaluation tomorrow. My question is, once this starts does it continue? Like are we going to have to drain her every so often until she passes? Or could it be a one time thing? It’s not bad enough to cause comb or waddle discoloration. And she still eats and drinks fine. Has a little difficulty walking around the yard but hoping that resolves once the fluid is removed.

Ascites in chickens is common in those with salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, and heart failure. It always has a bad outcome. I have discovered it on several necropsies in chickens I have lost. I have only drained one hen and she needed it every 4-5 days, but she died after the third draining. Her abdomen was bluish and very swollen. Usually an 18 gauge needle is required to drain ascites fluid. The fluid may continue to drain out after removing the needle. Here is a video that shows draining a hen:

Ascites in chickens is common in those with salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, and heart failure. It always has a bad outcome. I have discovered it on several necropsies in chickens I have lost. I have only drained one hen and she needed it every 4-5 days, but she died after the third draining. Her abdomen was bluish and very swollen. Usually an 18 gauge needle is required to drain ascites fluid. The fluid may continue to drain out after removing the needle. Here is a video that shows draining a hen:

Thanks for sharing this.. EGGCELLENT!
I have a chicken with water belly and I've been searching for answers.
I think I know what caused it. I scored free veg cast offs from a supermarket "produce manager" who directed me to outdoor bins ( garbage cans with lids) Much of the contents looked not bad at all about 10% of it was not something I"d choose but there was some sawdust and I know they put that on the floors to mop up in work areas.. I'm new to chickens ( under a year to date), but trying hard to learn.

I was delighted with the produce connection and did NOT stop to think about what I was doing. I think I introduced a pathogen because today I inspected my flock of 2 roos and 14 hens... and I have 3 other hens that have some degree of waterbelly as well. These birds are all approx. 1 year old.

The hen most affected is one I just put with my white crested cockerel about 2-3 weeks ago. He had been so bullied by the other roo ( 4 months older), that I had split my coop and gave the younger roo one hen). This is the hen I first noticed had water belly. I was thinking gyno because the young roo has been at her quite a bit as she is his only hen to date ( plan to introduce them slowly from those that the other roo doesn't seem to pay attention to ( advise me if this is stupid please but it is another subject)...

But today I noticed that 3 of the 13 other hens with the Supreme Ruler Roo on his side of the divided coop,... also have a little bit of water belly and I came to the conclusion that this is not gyno induced in any way that the only common denominator here was this Vegetable Factor . It was lots of outside cabbage leaves, kale etc.. but I noticed some sawdust in it and I washed some of it in plain water .. just wasn't using my brain as I was so happy to have this treat for them.. I actually got veg from this source 3 times.. and then it began to dawn on me and I stopped and began to consider "everything". We had a hawk attack about 3 weeks ago and I've had the flock on 95% lockdown as I've been nursing one bird back from the brink. This made this new found "treat".. all the more valuable for my poor jailbirds. I've also been delivering hoed up weeds from the garden to the coop, anything green ( in the North of the coast of Mass here)

So I'm posing this question now? Could this be caused by a bacteria ? and if so how can I aid the body in riding it from these hens that are showing varying degrees of water belly. Any input from experienced people seriously appreciated. If your not all that experienced, not a problem, but just let me know that if you would. Thank you so much! BYC is a model for world peace.

Last edited:
We have an older hen (5+ years) who has developed ascites (water belly) randomly. I’m a nurse and know how to drain such things but we will be taking her a to a vet for further evaluation tomorrow. My question is, once this starts does it continue? Like are we going to have to drain her every so often until she passes? Or could it be a one time thing? It’s not bad enough to cause comb or waddle discoloration. And she still eats and drinks fine. Has a little difficulty walking around the yard but hoping that resolves once the fluid is removed.
It depends on the cause, but yes, it usually returns. I have a couple hens with swollen bellies. In both of them, it seems to come and go. One has seen the avian vet several times. Hers seems to be hormone related, as keeping her on hormones seems to keep it at bay for the most part. Until now. I plan to bring her back to the avian vet again to see if she can be drained again and see if it’s still clear. Poor dear is sort of on borrowed time, so we may end it if she seems to lose her will to live.

I have had some success treating ascites with aspirin and Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox. Draining can provide some relief, but you are wise to ask if it will continue. I believe it varies from bird to bird, depending on the individual situation.

Do you know what her laying status is?

Back
Top Bottom