Ascites, it's not contagious is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coloradochick, Mar 17, 2009.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG] One of my young girls passed lastnight. And from the feel of her little body and the symptoms she was showing I'm assuming it was Ascites. I'm going to thouroughly clean the coop and hoping it's not contagious.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] ascites is one of the symptoms of liver failure [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  4. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Ascites is fluid accumulation in the abdominal cavity, it's not a disorder in and of itself. You need to find out what caused it.

5. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Her whole body, crop, belly and abdomen were fluid filled. When I picked her body up this morning a clear fluid came out of her vent.

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    From what I have read on here it is not contagious, more a symptom of liver failure or something. Some people have had chickens that had ascites for quite a long time. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sorry about your hen! If you are brave you could open her up and see what was up.

7. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Nope, it was sad enough getting her out of the coop this morning. I'm not sure I could cut into her. Just keeping a close eye on the rest of the crew and so far no signs of this in them. [​IMG]

thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by