Ash content in feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by patti'speeps, Sep 11, 2011.

1. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    I've got my eye on a feed for my poultry. The only thing i'm not sure about is the fact that it has ash in the ingredient list. I would love some input on the affect this will have on my birds. It's high in protein so I would love to get it and save it for the winter feeding when they need a little higher protein. I have all types of poultry, from Peafowl to Guineas and everything in between, lol. Any advice would be greately appreciated.

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

I doubt that Ash is listed as an ingredient, rather it is probably listed as a nutrient. In feed analysis the Ash content of the feed is the mineral portion of the feed, basically what is left as 'ash' when a feed is burned.

Jim

3. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    will the ash content be harmful to my birds since it is a nutrient? Says it has 10% ash.

4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

patti'speeps :

will the ash content be harmful to my birds since it is a nutrient? Says it has 10% ash.

I says "maximum" right?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Is this feed manufactured by either Lowes or Greensbug Soy?​

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  5. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    It's fine. It's not a singlevnutrient, but rather, as was mentioned, the remnants of the diet that will not combust.

Clint

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by