Ask FDA to approve implants for chickens to prevent egg production

Healthy birds who eventually became unhealthy after 5 to 7 years of life. Could not get them implanted when they were young. Could not get them implanted when they started to have problems but... it's already a bit too late at that point as ovarian cancer had already set in. Even when they were "healthy" I'd argue they were not. Pumping out eggs every 25 hours. That's unhealthy. We bred them to do that. Jungle fowl would not. One girl in particular would complain for over an hour about the pain of laying an egg. I felt so bad for her. I wish I could make the eggs go away. I got particularly offended when neighbors would innocently ask "are they for eggs?" The correct answer is "no" but if I say that their mind immediately jumps to "for meat." They are for companionship. Does your dog give your eggs?

Healthy birds who eventually became unhealthy after 5 to 7 years of life. Could not get them implanted when they were young. Could not get them implanted when they started to have problems but... it's already a bit too late at that point as ovarian cancer had already set in. Even when they were "healthy" I'd argue they were not. Pumping out eggs every 25 hours. That's unhealthy. We bred them to do that. Jungle fowl would not. One girl in particular would complain for over an hour about the pain of laying an egg. I felt so bad for her. I wish I could make the eggs go away. I got particularly offended when neighbors would innocently ask "are they for eggs?" The correct answer is "no" but if I say that their mind immediately jumps to "for meat." They are for companionship. Does your dog give your eggs?
Could not agree more! They are forced to lay so many eggs when it's so unnatural for them. I wouldn't mind if they laid every few days because I enjoyed the eggs but there's no need for them to lay every single day for me. But that's just my opinion

Could not agree more! They are forced to lay so many eggs when it's so unnatural for them. I wouldn't mind if they laid every few days because I enjoyed the eggs but there's no need for them to lay every single day for me. But that's just my opinion
Thank you Pampered chicken girl. Maybe someday breeders will start selectively breeding to lay less number of eggs. Right now they won't because there is not demand but maybe soon there will be with more people like you and I.

The drug seems like a good way to help birds today if it was more widely accepted and easier to come by.

My family was so moved with this topic, and feeling powerless, that we launched a tofu scramble seasoning to replace eggs.

Thank you Pampered chicken girl. Maybe someday breeders will start selectively breeding to lay less number of eggs. Right now they won't because there is not demand but maybe soon there will be with more people like you and I.

The drug seems like a good way to help birds today if it was more widely accepted and easier to come by.
Exactly, i am one of those few people that just love having the chickens around for pets! They lay eggs and I accept them because if they are going to do all that work I might as well enjoy them but if they stopped laying or slowed down I would not be upset
My family was so moved with this topic, and feeling powerless, that we launched a tofu scramble seasoning to replace eggs.
Wow, that's awesome!!

Healthy birds who eventually became unhealthy after 5 to 7 years of life. Could not get them implanted when they were young.
Maybe you could find an avian vet that uses them on a regular basis? I know that all three Avian vet clinics in my area will implant them. :idunno

That's right, they are pets :)

I'll never forget the time I purchased some wild bird seed from Southern States. The cashier overheard my wife and I talking. When we rang up at the cash register she couldn't help but say "This is rather expensive for chickens don't you think?" All I could say at that moment was "People buy this for wild birds because they think they are pretty to look at. Our chickens are every bet as cool to watch plus they like to snuggle. Why not spoil them with good things to eat?" - the cashier rolled their eyes but... that's how I feel.

Maybe someday breeders will start selectively breeding to lay less number of eggs. Right now they won't because there is not demand but maybe soon there will be with more people like you and I.
Many such chickens already exist. If you want chickens that lay fewer eggs, just buy suitable breeds.

Healthy birds who eventually became unhealthy after 5 to 7 years of life.
What breeds were they?

Back
Top Bottom