Ask FDA to approve implants for chickens to prevent egg production

That's debatable. Certainly egg laying is something chickens naturally do and so it would be natural to keep them laying eggs... if only they didn't lay so many. We certainly "fix" dogs and cats before they ever get pregnant, at a young age. We "fix" our human problem but "break" the animal from how they were born. People don't have a problem with that. It's difficult to spay a chicken in the same way though technically possible. I'd be ok with surgery if it was a simple and less-error-prone procedure on a hen.

In some sense we really do fix dogs and cats because they tend to live longer: https://www.denvervet.com/site/blog/2021/11/02/spay-neuter-live-longer

Dogs and cats live happy healthy lives without reproduction anatomy. Why can't chickens? Why is that unhealthy for them?

Could you imagine if your chickens had an average lifespan of 15 years instead of 5 because they stopped laying eggs?
You can only extend their lives for so long. I spent 2 weeks caring for my favorite hen who had a vent prolapse, but it wouldn't stay in. I chose euthanasia instead of surgery because surgery wouldn't necessarily fix the problem, just prolong her life. Surgery would have just prolonged her suffering. She was living in a box in my basement because her friends would hurt her more when she went outside.

I think the best option would be start breeding chickens for Less laying instead of for more laying. We can make their lives easier if they are only forced to lay once every few days once every week or once every two weeks rather than completely shutting down a body part or forcing them to pop out too many eggs. I have a silkie who's a good candidate LOL she only lays like once every two weeks 😆

I think the best option would be start breeding chickens for Less laying instead of for more laying. We can make their lives easier if they are only forced to lay once every few days once every week or once every two weeks rather than completely shutting down a body part or forcing them to pop out too many eggs. I have a silkie who's a good candidate LOL she only lays like once every two weeks 😆
I think that that is the perfect option.

You can only extend their lives for so long. I spent 2 weeks caring for my favorite hen who had a vent prolapse, but it wouldn't stay in. I chose euthanasia instead of surgery because surgery wouldn't necessarily fix the problem, just prolong her life. Surgery would have just prolonged her suffering. She was living in a box in my basement because her friends would hurt her more when she went outside.
What was her name? I'm sorry you and she went through that experience but you did what you could for her. You kept her inside and cared for her and comforted her. Prolapse is sad to see.

Imagine if she was implanted at an early age? She would not have prolapsed and surgery would not be necessary, because she would not be laying eggs.

We don't know if implants will prolong the life of a chicken, as you said, there could be other side effects and as far as I know there are no comparative studies out there. So let's say, for the sake of argument, that implanting shortens the life by on average one year? (made up example). So implanted hens live 4 years and non implanted hens live 5 years. Even so, those 4 years would be without prolapse and without pain. And for all we know, they very likely could have extended life because ovarian cancer and other complications would be kept at bay.

Do you know that eggs deplete 10% of the calcium from their bones? It's a tall order.

What was her name? I'm sorry you and she went through that experience but you did what you could for her. You kept her inside and cared for her and comforted her. Prolapse is sad to see.

Imagine if she was implanted at an early age? She would not have prolapsed and surgery would not be necessary, because she would not be laying eggs.

We don't know if implants will prolong the life of a chicken, as you said, there could be other side effects and as far as I know there are no comparative studies out there. So let's say, for the sake of argument, that implanting shortens the life by on average one year? (made up example). So implanted hens live 4 years and non implanted hens live 5 years. Even so, those 4 years would be without prolapse and without pain. And for all we know, they very likely could have extended life because ovarian cancer and other complications would be kept at bay.

Do you know that eggs deplete 10% of the calcium from their bones? It's a tall order.
Her name was Clover. She was only about a year and a half old. I wouldn't have implanted anyway. She was a Rhode Island Buff Orpington cross, and bad breeding was certainly part of it. She was undersized and layed much too large eggs.

What I don't understand is why chicken lovers are against FDA green lighting this drug? It's an option. If it was green lighted you don't have to use it, but wouldn't it be nice to know you could if you wanted to? The drug is allowed for Ferrets and Horses... why not Chickens? Even if you are lucky to have a doctor where you live who will let you implant, why not make it easier for them to say yes?

To me it's all down to chickens are for food and that's very sad. We don't want to eat that drug. They don't have to be for food.

Her name was Clover. She was only about a year and a half old. I wouldn't have implanted anyway. She was a Rhode Island Buff Orpington cross, and bad breeding was certainly part of it. She was undersized and layed much too large eggs.
Clover is a sweet name. She must have been very pretty, that cross sounds nice. Sometimes there really isn't much we can do but love them the best we can. Clover left this world too soon but it wasn't anyone's fault. It was her time to go.

Back
Top Bottom